We’ve got two big contests at SAGE this year, one to immortalize your artwork in the greatest unofficial official game of all time, and another to immortalize your game creation skills in shame (and win some cash for Amazon!) Hit the jump for details on both:
[UPDATE: The games will be played on stream here, Saturday Jan. 23 at 8:30 p.m, so drop on by!]
If you’re enrolling in RAGE, our Really Amateur Games Expo, you’ve got until Jan. 22 at 11:59 p.m. CST to produce a game of some sort based on this year’s theme: Sonic Boom.
It doesn’t have to be a full scale game so much as a 5-10 minute long demo or an older game (think Space Invaders or Breakout for example) and it doesn’t necessarily have to be good, just technically sound (read: no crashes, memory leaks, or texture failures.) If anything, have fun with it and maybe it can expand to a bigger (and better) game down the road.
RAGE (Really Amateur Games Expo), which was originally going to return last month on December 18th, is going to return for real this time on January 17th! If you don’t know what RAGE is, basically it’s a sort of game jam where you have five days to make the worst but also funniest fan game possible.
While the goal is to just do whatever and somehow churn out the shiniest turd you can make, there are still guidelines that need to be followed:
• Games need to stick to the theme, this is the most important requirement to note.
• Submissions need to be in by 11:59 pm CST on Friday, January 22nd.
• Send all RAGE submissions to [email protected]; submissions before January 17th will not be accepted.
• Games should really only be 5 – 10 minutes long. We’re not looking for an epic here.
• Feel free to use any engine/platform/program you like, just make sure it’ll run on modern day systems!
• If you don’t have something on hand, there’s trials of several commonly used programs, as well as free versions. Less experience might even help you here!
• Have fun with it! Sure you’re shooting for bad, but you’re wanting to make funny bad, like The Room or Birdemic of video games. (In other words, you’re aiming for humor, not just garbage.)
Of course, you wouldn’t want to spend time and effortless effort making something terrible without getting rewarded for it. Thankfully, the RAGE organizers thought of that. If you win this contest, you’ll get a $50 Amazon gift card. (Or if you don’t live in the US, your country’s equivalent of $50.)
If you’re a member of our forums, be sure to take a look at the official thread. You don’t have to be a member to take part in this contest though.