I did it you guys. I got Monday Links to actually be a weekly thing for every Monday of a month. I checked and this is something that hasn’t been achieved since 2010 when Slingerland was doing this thing. This is something that I’ve tried very, very, veeeery hard to achieve since I did my first of these back in 2013. And really I probably wouldn’t have done it without Bartman3010 starting it up again. Speaking of which, why isn’t he doing Monday Links anymore? I bet he’s probably doing “more important stuff” and “chasing his dreams” like learning how to make games for the Nvidia Tegra. Pfft.
Now what was I supposed to be doing? Oh right, links.
Sonic Retro stuff
- UtopiaUK put up a video showing some WIP zones from his Sonic 3 Resort Island hack. [Watch the video here and take a look at the forum thread]
- Cinossu made a Blue Sphere hack and he assured us that it’s not a jump scare. [Also don’t look at the spoilers, it ruins the fun]
- Hez shows off his unlockable Wood Zone level in Sonic Classic 2. [Cause unlockables are fun]
- MainMemory has added support for Sonic CD in SonLVL. [Please don’t make more Wacky Workbench levels]
- Enemies can now be constrained to a 2D plane in Xaklse’s new release of SonicGDK. [Handy for those fancy 2.5D platformer]
- LakeFeperd gives an update on what’s going on with Spark the Electric Jester. [Making games can be kinda hard]
- flamewing has released the first new update for SMPS2ASM in years. [Less buggy song stuff]
- We have a new feature called “Something For The Weekend” by our new writer Nova, with fun and cool Sonic stuff. [So go take a look at last weekend’s cool Sonic thing]
- Jollyroger has gotten the Sonic X-treme prototype that was found to work on SEGA Saturn hardware. [Progress!]
- The first Sonic Runners gameplay trailers shows that the game is about running. [Now with a more classic but also still modern Sonic]
- Yuji Naka/Prope’s new game Rodea the Sky Soldier will be released in the west by NIS America. [You know, that game that was announced four years ago]
- The sequel to the Sonic and Mega Man Worlds Collide comic cross-over will feature cameos of other SEGA and Capcom characters. [Viewtiful Joe please]
- Enjoyed the latest Sonic Boom episode? If so, good cause we’re gonna see a lot more this year. [If not, stop hating fun you fun hating not-fun-haver]
- How many toys can SEGA still make out of Sonic Boom? [At least this many apparently]
Oh man, you guys, we usually don’t do leaks by anonymous tipsters but this was just too good to pass up. Rayman is gonna be in the upcoming Sonic Runners! This tipster gave us this piece of promotional art in which Rayman is shown running alongside Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. What made this leak especially convincing is that just like Sonic, Rayman consists of a re-used model from previous games with black lines around the edges.
It makes sense as well. Just like Sonic will have, Rayman has had a couple of “endless runner” games that aren’t really endless but actually have stages. These games, Rayman Jungle Run and Fiesta Run, were pretty darn good. So hopefully they’re an indication of how good Sonic Runners will be. And who knows, maybe we’ll see additional guest characters from other mobile games as well, like maybe Mega Man!
Sonic Retro stuff
- Fans want that Sonic 3 remaster by Taxman and Stealth so bad that they’re doing a campaign thing to get SEGA’s attention. [Here’s Stealth’s post about it]
- flamewing has made some pretty big additions to his Big’s Fishing Derby hack. [It’s a hack in which you play as Big the Cat so you should probably play it]
- Morph released a new update to SA Tools. (A thing that lets you mess with Sonic Adventure DX.) [Lots of new SADXLVL2 stuff]
- Sonic Advance is gonna be released for the Wii U Virtual Console in Japan. [It’s the real Sonic 4 to us]
- Unsurprisingly, the Sonic Boom games didn’t sell well. [Turns out that when a game is bad people don’t want it]
- First 4 Figures is releasing an awesome looking diorama of Sonic on the tornado. [If only I could afford it]
- Archie has released a preview of the next Sonic comic issue. [Now with more wrestling]
- Ken Penders. [Ken Penders]
Another year draws to a close, and as such it’s more than time for another visit to the wonderful world of Fleetway’s Sonic the Comic. You may remember from last time that our heroes had just got the stolen Master Emerald back onto the Floating Island and blew up the Death Egg; and in the process of doing so they defeated a Metallix, who idly mentioned in chat about an “elite brotherhood” of the robots. All back up to speed now? It’s OK, you can go read part 6 again, I’ll wait.
You’re done? Right. Let’s jump back in, shall we?
The holidays are a special time. Some enjoy the winding down the beginning of winter brings, others enjoy punching people for that huge TV you probably didn’t need but it’s cheap so why not. Either way, for better or for worse, the holidays mean spending time with friends and family. This includes super villains like our favorite ovum-shaped robot overlord, Dr. Ivo “Eggman” Robotnik.
Continuing off from a series of Christmas movies starring Sonic and his friends (and relatives) begun in 2011, Sonic’s Christmas festivities hit a swerve when Dr. Eggman crashes the party and invites the cast to spend time with his own family. As with the other two, the writing is funny and the voice acting is pretty good, and (at least for me), I kind of enjoy the scribbled art look the movies sport. Great work by the folks at Balena productions.
Regardless of which holiday you’re celebrating, we here at Sonic Retro also wish all of you a happy holidays and to enjoy yourselves a Sonic game or two during this break. But not Sonic Boom. Even Santa’s mischievous counterpart Krampus wouldn’t be that cruel.