Update: Right after making this article SEGA officially announced the Bonus Edition for in the US and what will be included. It will contain an extra level inspired by OutRun, Metal Sonic will be playable in a new vehicle and you get an Emoticon Sticker Pack. Metal Sonic was also playable in the first All-Stars Racing as part of a DLC pack. Europe will get a Limited Edition which will be announced soon.
Original article: Steve Lycett (aka S0L) has revealed a bit of new info about the upcoming Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed on the official SEGA forums. The game will have a total of 29 characters, but you won’t be able to play all of these characters with just one version of the game. Some characters will be exclusive to a certain platform, with some of these characters being from SEGA and some not. SEGA did something similar with the first Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, which had Banjo-Kazooie and Avatars as exclusive characters on the Xbox 360 and your Mii in the Wii version, though those were only characters owned by Microsoft and Nintendo respectively. Lycett also said that the amount of characters on some platforms will be in the low 20s and on others it will be in the high 20s.
In other news, Amazon.com has listed a “Bonus Edition”. What this edition will include isn’t known yet, but the product description on Amazon.co.uk does reveal a few new details. There will be a world tour mode as well as a Grand Prix mode in the game. Online multiplayer will allow up to 8 players in a single game (like in the first All-Stars Racing) and All-Stars moves can now be gained by filling up your All-Star meter.
Steve Lycett on the SEGA forums:
The thing is, different people think of different things when you say ‘How many characters are in the game’.
Are we talking about playable choices, drivers, vehicle forms, which platform are we talking about, what?
Me, I go with actual playable choices on the character select. Over all the different platforms, this totals up to 29 actual playable choices. But that doesn’t mean that there are 29 playable choices in all platforms (in fact no single platform has all 29). Some drop down to the low 20’s, some instead have high 20’s.
Why is this? Well some platforms have characters that are unique to that platform. I’m not going to say which, that’s part of the fun of the reveals! Some are SEGA characters, some are not. Don’t bother asking 😛
Playable choices doesn’t necessarily equal drivers either. Not as we’re talking passengers or hood ornaments, counting those would indeed be cheap, but you know this is game all about transformation, we are doing things with the vehicles that we’ve not shown you, that are going to really surprise you.
So yes I get that it’s fun to debate who is right and who is wrong, but at the end of the day, you can measure what’s there in loads of different ways. Across all the playable vehicles, there are currently more than 90 different forms (as each vehicle has a land, air and sea mode + you’ve not seen anything on the All-Stars…) and who said each vehicle was limited to a single driver… Or indeed vehicle type per surface.
Wait and see. This is why whenever you ask us anywhere, we can’t give you a straight answer. Well that and the NDA’s.
Incidentally, Joe and Derek would never have a fight, but Joe would clearly win in a drinking contest
Amazon Product Description:
Sonic and the All-Stars cast line up on the starting grid once again to battle for supremacy in the ultimate race. Compete across land, water and air in incredible transforming vehicles that change from cars to boats to planes mid-race. Master your driving skills as you drift, barrel role and boost to overtake your rivals, or use your weapons tactically and unleash your All-Star move to gain the winning advantage.
It’s not just your fellow racers you need to watch out for, as the road falls away beneath you, or the river runs dry, new routes emerge and your vehicle transforms to take advantage of the terrain. Discover alternative routes and short cuts as you perfect the course in this adrenaline fuelled dash to the finish line – racing will never be the same again.
- Dynamic Tricks: Take to land, sea & air as you race through 16 dynamically changing courses inspired by SEGA’s illustrious gaming history. Discover alternate routes, find new power-ups and avoid emerging hazards as you race to victory – every track feels different.
- Choose Your Racer: Race as over 20 legendary All Stars. The starting line-up has been transformed as new iconic characters from the world of SEGA join the race. What other game sees a hedgehog battle it out against a monkey, a sky pirate and an axe wielding dwarf!
- Fully Transformable Vehicles: This is no ordinary race. Each character is equipped with their own unique vehicle that can transform into a car, boat and plane to take advantage of the changing terrains. Each vehicle handles differently and players must master all three to triumph.
- Tools of Devastation: Utilise an arsenal of devastating weapons which require skill to aim, shoot, evade and block. The All-Star Moves also return, this time the more daring and stylishly you race, the more your All-Star meter increases allowing you to unleash carnage on your opponents!
- Ultimate Gaming Experience: Old rivalries can be settled and new ones created in up to 8 player online. Journey through the All-Stars’ world to take on a huge range of modes and challenges, including Grand Prix, Battle arenas and an incredible world tour.
- Transform into a Car: Boost and drift your way around the track.
- Transform into a Boat: Tackle dynamic rapids and huge waves to beat rivals.
- Transform into a Plane: Take to the skies to barrel roll and dogfight to victory.