In case you missed it, Nintendo had another Direct today. Among the announcements for a new Kirby and Paper Mario, Mario and Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games was dated for March 18th, 2016 on the Nintendo 3DS, with the Wii U version hitting shelves on June 24th. Alongside the release dates, Nintendo showed off the opening for Mario and Sonic 2016, you can check that out above, as well as the box-art for the Wii U version, along with some new screenshots after the jump.
mario and sonic
Nintendo has recently released demos for the eShop on Nintendo 3DS which primarily consist of retail released games, this also means as of Thursday a release for the demo of the hotly anticipated Sonic the Hedgehog title coming out in February. That’s right, the 3DS edition of Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games. Hold your applause please. Keep in mind that each downloaded demo from the eShop has a limit of thirty uses. Look through the Game Demos section of the store, or search for the game to download the game to the 3DS system. If you rather hold out for the full version, or don’t live in the US, but still carry an interest, be sure to hit the jump for impressions.
If you need travel help, like transportation or picking the right hotel (downtown L.A. is full up), feel free to shoot me a PM or e-mail and I can direct you to available rooms. I’m more than willing to assist you guys coming into town. It’s difficult to find a hotel with E3 and VGL happening in the same stretch as Sonic Boom.
Sonic Retro News
- The “Sonic Boom” ticket allotment for both Sonic Retro and Sonic Stadium is sold out, but I will be making a handful more available later today/tomorrow. I’ve been given more tickets, but I have a wait list from the first batch to get through before I open it up again.
- A small update (with screenshots) for flamewing’s Sonic 2 Heroes hack. Menus and HUDs to check out. [Sonic 2 Heroes]
- Tech Member MoDule has compiled a bugfix list for beginning hackers. When you’re creating your hacks, it’d be worthwhile to take a look at this guide and remove the bugs within the games. [MoDule’s Bugfix Guides]
- SEGA had 350 more tickets made available for Sonic Boom, but those also vanished within a few hours. This party is going to rule. [SEGA Blogs]
- Golden Axe 3 and Streets of Rage 3 are now on iTunes. I’ve yet to play them, but I’d wager that they have emulation issues. [SEGA Blogs]
- With AAUK’s departure from SEGA Europe, the Sonic City Blognik will no longer be in use, so you can remove it from your bookmarks. [Sonic Wrecks]
- Sonic rides a horse and the fantasy events get way awesome in the upcoming Olympics title. [Nintendo Life]
- Sonic graphic novels are on the way. So is my apathy. My interest in the comics is totally dependent on David’s awesome rant articles on them. [Publishers Weekly]
- Sega Sammy Holdings doubled their profits for this past fiscal year. [Gamasutra]
- We’ve all made our displeasure known about SEGA’s 16-bit compilations and SEGA-16’s Ken Horowitz feels the same way. He wrote an excellent article earlier this month, noting that 79% of the latest compilation is recycled from previous compilations. [SEGA-16]