My apologies to IFC’s Portlandia. It’s not like Mondays are chin beards or anything, because those are SO OVER. Thankfully, putting giant Sonic plushes on Japanese trains is still in. For now.
Sonic Retro News
- Sonic the Hedgehog CD is heading to Xbox Live Arcade–and to top it off, will be playable at PAX! Stay tuned to the most unintentionally funny thread Retro has had in some time! [ Sonic CD comes to XBLA ]
- On the subject of Sonic CD, MainMemory has made some basic editors for the PC version of the game. Obligatory disclaimer that you should go ahead and buy the XBLA version, too. [ Sonic CD PC Editors ]
- Another round of animation cels from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog have popped up on eBay. Here’s your second chance to get some Robotnik in the shower frames! [ AoStH Animation Cels on eBay ]
- Sonic 2 HD is still being worked on! Really, guys. I promise. [ A brief S2HD update ]
Sorry, no errata this week–everyone here at Sonic Retro has their serious face on and is hard at work. We should be back to normal next week.
Filling in for Slingerland this week, as he is too busy partying with a chicken or something. Sometimes, I don’t know about that man.
Sonic Retro News
- There’s been a series of updates on Sonic Extreme, with commentary from the owner and the original company who developed the demo. Additional footage is also inside. [ Sonic Extreme: Yes, with an E ]
- Progress is coming slowly but surely with Sonic & Knuckles Collection; this time, MainMemory has released a new sound effect replacement tool. [ SKCsnd ]
- Ranger, one of the guys behind Sonic 2 XL, is back with a Mother 3-styled RPG fangame. Preliminary screenshots are up , but still waiting on a demo. [ Sonic and the Rings of Order ]
- DMAshura has announced his open-source Python Sonic engine, Porcupyne. If you’re interested, feel free to jump on the project. [ Porcupyne ]
- NG.DevTeam, the studio behind Last Hope and Fast Strikers, have put out their first shots of the upcoming game Gun Lord for the Neo-Geo and Sega Dreamcast. Good to see indie developers still supporting the system more than a decade later. [ Gun Lord ]
- SEGABits is in the middle of Yakuza Week, meant to boost awareness of the new PlayStation 3 game Yakuza 4. Follow along and retweet their articles once a day for a chance to win some of the awesome prizes they’re giving away. [ Yakuza Week ]
- Sega’s upcoming team shooter Binary Domain has been delayed until 2012. To tide you over in the meanwhile, they’ve released a trailer of the game, set in 2080 Tokyo. [ Binary Domain ]
- Sega of Japan have set up a special Twitter feed for Sonic’s 20th anniversary. There have been some pretty interesting tidbits over there so far, including the possibility that Sonic Generations may be getting another title before the game ships. [ @sonic20th ]
- Reservations for this year’s Summer of Sonic are already closed after just 10 hours! Good thing I’m getting in on my dashing looks and charm alone. [ Summer of Sonic 2011 ]