So this is a surprise – SEGA have announced a new Sonic Boom title, named ‘Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice‘, coming exclusively to 3DS during ‘Holiday 2015′.
So far, details are pretty scarce but we can report that playable characters will include the main four and Sticks, with Eggman returning for villain duties alongside all-new bad guy, D-Fekt. Reportedly the game also features a new mode known as Bot Racing that will be tied to the single player campaign while featuring multiplayer elements. What this means is anyone’s guess at this point, but it will be focused on racing and speed (duh) where users unlock bots based on the characters.
Development duties are with Sanzaru Games by the look of the trailer, who were responsible for Shattered Crystal. Given the infamy of the previous two Sonic Boom-related titles, we’ll hold off on any excitement for now. You can check out the trailer for the game below.
Edit: Click below to check out the first handful of “Boom-tastic” screenshots.
Yup, the site went down for a week. The effects of which were catastrophic. For instance, the last three months of Monday Links were suddenly removed from the internet and nobody even seems to be able to remember them. A very strange occurrence that’s in no way an unfunny excuse for my laziness.
Anyway, while I was busy watching a 274+ episode anime, the other Sonic Retro staff launched a new front page. I also watched an anime about cute girls making anime. So in short, we all made some progress.
I need to stop doing these with only three hours of sleep.
- Barry and David will be hosting a panel at Too Many Games about Sonic X-Treme [It’ll be on June 27th at 4:50pm in Oaks, PA]
- A new version of the Sonic X-Treme level editor was released [It being called SonicBoom is still weird]
- P3DR0 has revealed his new fangame SONIC INFINITY which is set in the world of the Sonic OVA [The game’s name is in all caps so it must be good]
- MainMemory made a whole bunch of scrolling Sonic background screensavers, and is still making more [Obviously still needs Splash Hill Zone]
- The Sonic 2 HD team put up a timelapse video of the Chemical Plant boss battle being coded [Done by mashing random keys on the keyboard really fast]
- Nintendo announced another one of those Mario & Sonic cross-over games where beloved(?) characters from both franchises do stuff in the Olympics [It’ll probably have good music so there’s your reason to care]
- It turns out that the other new Sonic game that releases this year is Yoshi’s Woolly World, in which you can unlock a Sonic skin with the Sonic amiibo [Not to be confused with the Mega Man skin]
- We haven’t heard of the big new Sonic game this year yet (or if there is one at all), so of course rumours have started popping up. The most credible one being Sonic Mach 2, which is probably a working title. Might just be nothing like a small spin-off game, but we’ll see I guess [Also fans annoying Iizuka by asking him about it]
We’re excited to announce that SEGAbits and Sonic Retro will be returning to Too Many Games to host a panel on Saturday, June 27th at 4:50pm in Oaks, PA! Last year we uncovered the secrets of Sonic the Hedgehog 2‘s Hidden Palace Zone, and this year we return to the topic of Sonic mysteries with “The Sonic X-treme Files”. The panel is to feature Sonic Retro admin and writer David the Lurker and SEGAbits admin and writer Barry the Nomad as they embark on a chronological behind-the-scenes look back at the never released SEGA Saturn game Sonic X-treme!
Also appearing at the panel is creator of the YouTube series “Hit Reset” Adam aka Gunstar with the premiere of his latest Hit Reset episode which shines the spotlight on Wild Woody for the SEGA CD. The video is to feature special guests including Wild Woody composer Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal and Woody voice actor Joe Kerska!
We’ll also be giving away some rare SEGA prizes at the end to ensure that you don’t walk out at the halfway point!
Register today at TooManyGames.com and we hope to see you there!
So COSPA have recently unveiled a new bit of Sonic-related merchandise and while a little different to what’s come before, the design is just as sleek and stylish as we’ve come to expect from them.
Long-time merchandise collectors probably already know all about COSPA, but in case you didn’t, they’ve been responsible for some of the coolest and most unique-looking Sonic merchandise around. I was fairly recently switched on to their output thanks to this piece for Forbidden Planet by Adam “T-Bird” Tuff of TSS and Summer of Sonic fame. Check page 5 to see just some of the designs they’ve released in the past – I’m still trying to find several of these shirts to purchase myself and it’s proving pretty damned difficult.
The glasses themselves are slated for general release in September later this year and will be priced at ¥9,180 (roughly £50/$75/€65) – they’ll most likely be a Japan-only product knowing COSPA, so keep your eyes out for them if you plan on making a purchase. Get it? Eyes? Glasses? No? Okay.
That Sonic amiibo you own isn’t useless just yet, as the upcoming Yoshi’s Woolly World for Wii U will be compatible with it. Using it will let you play as Sonic the Hedgehog Yoshi, who has Sonic’s colours and shoes. He even has green eyes!
Pretty much every amiibo, aside from Pokémon amiibo for some reason, will be compatible with the game. Each of which unlocks a new Yoshi skin based on the character. Even the original Yoshi amiibo for Super Smash Bros. will let you unlock a skin that looks like a more normal, non-yarn Yoshi.
Surprise! SEGA is still making sequels to their best selling Sonic spin-off that likely nobody here cares about. Nintendo announced Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games for Wii U and 3DS on Nintendo Direct earlier today. The gameplay footage showed two new sports: Rugby sevens and Golf. The former of which will be exclusive to the Wii U version, while the latter will only be on the 3DS version. Also it has Eggman going faster than Sonic by fabulously spinning around.
Various new playable characters can also spotted, including Rouge, Zazz, Jet the Hawk, Nabbit, Diddy Kong, and Birdo. And as usual with these Mario & Sonic games, we can probably at least expect some good remixes of music from both franchises.
But more importantly: Nintendo is making a new Chibi Robo game! And there’s gonna be a Chibi Robo amiibo! Chibi Robo!!!
So you all probably know Naoto Ohshima for his great character design work on the original Sonic the Hedgehog, particularly that of the main star. I’m sure you all also know him for directing what could only be described as perfection: Blinx the Time Sweeper. But what has he been up to lately? Well, apparently he did some guest character designs for a daily quest in Terra Battle and-