Humor

Sonic Generations’ “Sonic 4” Easter Egg

Sure, there are Easter Eggs with nods to previous games and characters who are no longer with us, but there is a very subtle one in Sonic Generations. Take a look:

Relax, guy. Enjoy yourself. If you find yourself going into rant mode, kindly go to the Official SEGA Forums and stay there. You are clearly under the age of 12. Special thanks to Vandelay for the video.

This video is a front-runner for my favorite Sonic video of the year award that I invented just now. My other favorite, which also involves Generations‘ game engine, is past the jump. It was made by Chimpo, so you know it’s great.

In the comments, please describe to me the stupid way you are going to protest this game as a result of these videos. Be original. You can’t buy copies of Sonic 1 this time, because Sonic 1 is already in the game. Conspiracy? I think so.

I died laughing

Why complain? I mean no-body should expect 1-1 recreation of an almost 25 year old engine. It’s just a fun engine based around an old style, even if the rolling physics need some work.

But I can’t tell if the first video is a mock up, or actualy in game…

…the original Sonic the Hedgehog didn’t come out in 1986.

First I laughed…and then I realized how much that video looks and sounds like Sonic had been crossed with Eversion. Now it seems…eerie.

Hey, MetalShadowChaos, Taxman’s 1-1 recreation of an almost 25 year old engine that’s being used for the upcoming port of Sonic CD says, “Hi.”

Also, who’s complaining here, exactly? Go2SegaForums.

I was refuring to why would people complain in the first place, I know I’m not.

And yeah the retro engine and some others make an almost perfect recreation, but try to do the same level of recreation on a 3d engine. Sonic Fan Remix came close, but even that had some flaws if I remember. So I’m saying no-one should expect a perfect recreation.

Retro Engine: it does 3D, too.

I agree, the engine could be better. Its the best from sega weve had so far for classic sonic game play in a long while but sega do some stupid things. I loved the first demo… and then SUPRISE SURPRISE the second demo arrives and ohhhhhhh look… the inserted those annoying blue telly tubbies into classic sonic mode. I think sega go by the assumption that children today are retarded. Why put them in? The gameplay is not difficult. Lets face it.. a blind fingerless simpleton could manage playing sonic without a tutorial. We don’t need them, so why throw them in last minute???

Not from what I can find it doesn’t. Elaborate?

Oh sega~

Hoo boy. I reckon that seems like actual in-game footage, I’d love to try that myself XD

Thing is, I think that it’s some kind of momentum physics timer or momentum somehow “stays” as such for a moment before gravity settles in.
    Hey, be happy – they at least HAVE gravity!

I couldn’t care less about that.
    I want the game.
    It has all the classics(and maby dreamcasts SA2)
    I’m not complaining.
    I’m thrilled sonic intrests me again.
    And if this games a hit what next.
    10/10 most likely

It’s that terrible, one does not joke about it. Feels like Chuck Norris did some ‘walking around’ the physics department at Sega.

Slingerland, don’t be a douche.
    This MetalAlloyUmbraShadowStationChaos guy is actually defending SEGA for once.

Jeez, cut him some slack.

Lol, yes, very funny 🙂
    But… if you chose to hate on Generations, please don’t let Retro become a website dedicated to slaging a game off as it did post Sonic 4. Long after I had moved on from 4, I would visit Retro in the hope of some of it’s usual blend of cool news and interesting stories about Sonic in general, but all I would find were articles about the physics of 4 🙁
    Anyway, thanks for the entertaining videos 🙂

Man, this vid is whack yo.

Don’t forget the Hover Wisp found in Green Hill Zone!

*sees MSC’s comment*
    “no-body should expect 1-1 recreation of an almost 25 year old engine.”

*sees “20th anniversary” logo in the title of everything Generatiosn related*

hahahahahahaha, wow

Sonic team should have really sat down to try and fix that one.

I’ll protest by putting my Sonic Snuggie on and only move in one direction all day. Forget going backwards through a level to find hidden things, it’s all about the speeeeeeeed! If I run into a wall I will attempt to run up it while parallel to the ground. This will result in me laying down with my feet against a wall staring into the sky all day. I can use this time to enjoy chili dogs and Sonic Ice Cream bars while pondering why I don’t just let the new generation of kids enjoy the new version of Sonic like I enjoyed my 90’s version. Why must I complain to Sega until they give me some half-assed version of 90’s Sonic to shut me up. Why couldn’t I just be content with what I had? Bawww Green eyes! That’ll show ’em!

Lol that (for me anyway) was probably the best joke I’ve seen Retro do. Lol.

Fake and terrible. Even if it IS real, no one cares and it is horrible trolling. Try again SR.

It is real. You can totally do this in the game.

No physics, bad game 0/10. I’m going to go buy ten copies of Sonic ’06 to protest.

The problem is that it isn’t difficult to create a 2D platformer physics engine that actually works. Not correctly coding for gravity or inertia are not fun quirks, they’re a result of sloppy coding and a lack of testing. This is a game made by a huge company, there is absolutely no reason why this should occur.

This is almost as good as the Dreadnought Hoax of 1910. Bunga bunga! (Google it.)

But I thought Dreadknux hasn’t made any hoaxes in years! Is he going old school?

Loved those videos.
    How would someone go about protesting this game? Better come up with an idea soon. The game comes out next week.

I like how you give two reasons why the game is broken as fuck but immediately flipflop with “stupid ways you protest”, what’s wrong afraid Master Webber won’t throw you table scraps like wallpaper if you play it straight?

Uh, no? I think the fact that rolling is still shitty and terrain is scripted is awful. I was just making a joke because Sonic 1 is in the game and buying Sonic 1 is how people protested last time with Sonic 4.

Besides, I’ve said all this shit to SoA’s faces anyway, but it’s not like they ultimately make the games.

Seriously, most of the quips you see on here are nothing Sega people haven’t been told or read before. Don’t think they’re not actively reading the forums and slowly reaching for some sort of blunt object when they see the fanbase’s flavor of the month complaint.

But I’ll make sure to ask Master Webber to provide us with AIM Icons of Generations material since we now angered him to be struck down from wallpapers.

I love the idiots who think this is a hate video. I absolutely ADORE Generations. Modern and Classic.

The Splash Hill music really sells it, haha.

Fans will be fans. *Shrug* Not like this is going to be a game-breaker, the physics here, while not perfect, are a vast improvement over Sonic 4. So I don’t se why all the Haters are hatin’.

This is hilariousfultacious.

So, how long before people finally realize this is a joke post? You guys who think they’re serious are idiots. Real talk.

When they look at what the post is filed under (“Humor”) and kill themselves.

what’s the point? it’s just a glitch you have to do intentionally in order to perform it, if it doesn’t kill the gameplay overall then fixing it is a waste of time

Those have got to be some of the funniest Sonic videos I’ve ever seen.

How are they THAT funny?

… Now, how do I get my money back from a pre-order?

jk

Yay slingerland’s back

I have played the demo at least 4 times recently and have not run into this problem or any problem with the rolling physics or slopes or anything people are saying is wrong. It feels like genisis sonic re-invented a but. Wether this is a problem or not in the final version i prbably wont run into it, notice it, or care cause of how amazing the game is going to be already got a 8.5 and this wasn’t mentioned so no worries!

lol it’s a joke? never mind then

Well, pretty good joke.

forgive me…but I just don’t get it XD wheres the Easter egg? I want some eggs. Can I have some eggs?

ya know, i never thought Sonic 4 Physics were bad… i thought they were funny! and i loved the classic games… i never thought Sonic 4 or any other Sonic game was an insult to the memories… i just think the games and their glitches were funny ^_^

Seeing the “Slinger…” in the post says everything 😛

You know it, du’.

Also, try Sonic GDK, which does a great work in an engine that wasn’t even designed for Sonic schemed games (Unreal Engine 3). The thing is that here we aren’t requesting a 1:1 engine, but yes a decent recreation of it if Sega wants to do a Classic-like gamestyle, not ones where Sonic can stay in the walls, has a plane design levels, and etc (my finger points to Sonic 4, Rush, Colors DS, etc.)