Game News

About Time: Sonic CD to XBLA, To Be Showcased at PAX

Secret’s out.

Sonic Stadium founder Dread McSvenderson noticed a li’l somethin’ somethin’ on Major Nelson’s blog today, along with many other gaming websites and forum-goers. Nelson, Microsoft’s community liaison, name-dropped Sonic CD while detailing each of Microsoft’s booths:

Xbox 360 Booth #432
Mass Effect 3 has landed… in the Xbox 360 booth! Come on by to check it out, along with a slew of Xbox LIVE Arcade titles: Trials Evolution, Skulls of the Shogun, Crimson Alliance, Splatters, Orcs Must Die, Ms. Splosion Man, Retro City Rampage, Sonic CD, War of the Worlds and Trine 2.

Oh, hey, it’s that game SEGA doesn’t care about that everybody loves! Sonic CD!

If you’re going to PAX, you’ll be the first amongst the general public to get your hands on retro Sonic done right. Stay tuned. More information will certainly be made available on this front with PAX starting this Friday.

[via TSS]

FINALLY!  This just made my day!

Well, it’s always nice to have good games on XBLA that I can play at home.

That aside, it’s cool to see SEGA paying notice to their game that got very high praise in the past, and to those who play it for the first time now. Maybe the team working on Generations that brought back the Stardust Speedway Metal Sonic battle had a hand in reminding SEGA of this little gem’s existence? 😛

Good for you.
      I’m ok with live
      But it would be nice if they just put it on disc
      Cause I don’t care to freaking hell and back to get an adapter or ethernet cord.
      I sold the adapter.
      Sega why not just make a collection of all the freaking games you made for sonic on all freaking game systems you made him for up to the dreamcast

I wonder if they are going to have their respective music or have the ability to pick which soundtrack they want. (I am hoping for the latter)

With the euro/Jpn soundtrack?

Why not just run Sonic CD on your modded original Xbox or computer or actual Sega CD?

Great for the purists that have them, or just a PC, but impractical to every normal consumer out there.

PS3?

I only fucking wish.

Any word on a PSN version?

Major Nelson won’t be talking about PSN stuff, but I can only speculate that it’s very likely PSN will see it released on there too.
      I may be wrong, however. Note that Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles are still not out on PSN, nor is much of the Sega Vintage Collection XBLA enjoys. Just wait for Sega.

Well, it’s about damn time! I freaking LOVE Sonic CD. It’s basically one of the best video games ever. EVER. I just hope teh kiddiez show interest in a masterful game for once.
    Soundtrack’s also worrying me. I hope they include BOTH soundtracks, or better yet, let us customize the stage tracks individually! That’d be damn sweet!

…Nah. Sega’s not THAT awesome.

I’d kinda disagree on switching soundtracks. After all, it may ruin a bit of nostalgia.

Well, I guess that’s true too…but I mean, when you’ve grown up hearing BOTH soundtracks…
        And just sayin’ for the heck of it, but even though I grew up with the American soundtrack, I highly prefer the EU/JP one…with the exception of Tidal Tempest. NA’s Tidal Tempest is super groovy.

I wonder if it’s the M(/S)ega CD version or the PC version (like in Gems).

I might be wrong but I think they’re use of this “Sonic CD on XBLA” might mean we’re gonna see a Stardust Speedway trailer for Generations.

We already have a Metal Sonic boss from it, and you can’t say that boss is for Chemical Plant Zone since at the end of the Gamescom trailer, it clearly shows the Sonic 2 final boss which implies that THAT will be the boss for CPZ. The hacked boss list DOES have “Death Egg” which could mean the Sonic 2 final boss.

I’m getting this the instant it comes out on the Arcade. Now all I need is a SEGA CD and I’ll be able to get all three versions.

Yes! Now please do Knuckles Chaotix next.

Oh, you mean that one game SEGA constantly fails to remember they made? With absolutely no ports except an obscure PC one? I’m sure that’ll come out alongside Duke Nuk…oh wait, I can’t make that joke anymore.

Haha! Not to mention they pretended like the whole backstory never existed in the first place which is weird because they could’ve use that to give Knuckles his own spin off games with Chaotix as his supporting casts (w/o that stupid elastic ring thingy in the gameplay and being forced to play with a partner) instead of finding a reason to put them into Sonic games. I’m not a huge fan of the new Chaotix Detective Agency that doesn’t seem to remember Sonic and Knuckles.  But yeah you’re right right dude I shouldn’t my get hopes up too high.

Agreed they shoulda made a chaotix adventure

The best sonic created.
    Best level design, best music, best style gameplay, best pixel sonic art graphics.
    Buy in first day.

Why can’t they do this for the Wii? Of course there’s sonic gems collection but I’m not getting because of sonic r and yeah that’s it

The 40MB forced limitation Nintendo has on WiiWare titles ontop of a CD soundtrack eats that up unless they compress everything or find a way to have the game use low quality MP3s.

Sonic R’s not a bad game. And even if it was, why would the presence of one bad game stop you from buying a compilation including the best?

PLEASE be the original Sega CD version. The PC version’s low quality SFX and PCM files just don’t do the original version’s justice.

Lol
      Just give us dev tools to port it to any fucking system we want

While there’s no point in me buying this, I’m Glad Sega have remembered that Sonic CD exists.

SEGA finally learned to emulate the SEGA CD or licensed from someone. Yay.

I don’t like Sonic CD though. Knuckles Chaotix please?

It’s about time they put Sonic CD on XBLA. I’ve been writing letters to Sega and Backbone Entertainment suggesting them to do it.

What does Backbone Entertainment have to do with Sonic CD?

Wonder if they’re using Taxman’s retro engine.

Prob not, but that’d be awesome.

Yeah you retro guys are freaking awesome when it comes to dev tools and hacks.
      Why doesn’t Sega use you to make games is beyond me.
      I love ya’lls hacks collection.
      They made my summer more enjoyable on the psp

… I dunno, Sonic CD was a bit meh. Too finicky if you ask me.

I don’t think it’s bad but I believe people give it too much credit. It is one of the better Sonic games but to go as far and say it’s the the best and better than Sonic 2 and Sonic 3&K is very untrue. The boss fights are easy and boring (the boss fights in Knuckles Chaotix were even better) the rolling physics is weird at times, and the spindash is
      freaking annoying. I do like the story, music, past /future feature and the special stages.

Yeah but it had a lot of freakin ways to play it

Hey. For me to dislike so many things about it I sure do play it a lot.

Click on a tab to select how you'd like to leave your comment