Game News

Escape From the City: Classic Style

If you were able to score a meeting with Iizuka at E3 last week, you were treated to the man himself playing this stage while answering questions. While the questions weren’t anything of note, this classic rendition of City Escape alone answered one huge question: how were modern stages going to translate for Classic Sonic?

You can put any doubts to bed. Sonic whips out a 90s skateboard, avoids that pesky GUN truck (which seems to come from just about anywhere) and runs the rooftops of San Francisco the city.

You can check out a Modern Sonic run here, but if you’ve played SA2, you’re not missing much.

At 1:12, he starts singing to the Endless Mine melody…

…just like how I mashed them up in Sonic Blast! 2 a year and a half ago: http://bit.ly/m1trZf

Wow.

This pulled me right out of depression 🙂

THIS IS EPIC!
    Sega, you’re doing it right! And I know you agree when I say…

THIS IS SONIC GENERATIONS AS YOU TRULY IMAGINED IT!!!!!!!!!!

Here’s pretty much the same video except it has a better recording of the sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oweDMaH5TY

Please tell me the 2nd verse crossover into Endless Mine wasn’t an accident!!

Nope. Sega says that the game will be full of subtle things like this that older fans will pick up on.

Oh man. I can’t wait. Also, Sonic 1 drums for exit of Endless Mine section herp. I really can’t wait for this game. It will be AMAZING.

Oh wait I was wrong it’s Sonic 2’s. HERPA DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERP to quote that guy at the start of the video.

My happiness is beyond comprehension right now. SA2 was my first ever Sonic game, from around when I was 6, thus City Escape was my first ever Sonic experience. And that remix… Look, I know people are complaining about the autotuning, but seriously, how can you hate that remix? And besides, I’m sure the Modern Mix will be more accurate to the actual song.
    This is it guys. This is Sonic’s redemption. Real talk.

This comment speaks the truth. Real talk. Are we still using that? Just us? Ok.

Wow. Just, wow. That’s the 3rd time today I’ve had my mind blown by way past cool renditions of Sonic music. Hopefully Sonic Team can make a classic version of a modern tune with a fast tempo and keep the song upbeat! Still, this looks promising!

Okay, my doubts about this game have had all of their heads blown off with a double-barrelled shotgun.

I felt like crying at the beauty of 1:12, when the singing was synthesized by a vocoder that sounds like something straight out of a 90s Euro techno track (which I love) into the TUNE OF FREAKING –ENDLESS MINE ZONE– from Sonic 3!!! I did NOT see that one coming, but I recognized it instantly! And then at 1:26 it burst off into that little super-classic SONIC DRUM BEAT!!

…I squealed. Loud. Like a teenage girl.

Awesome. I take it modern uses the normal version of the song, then? Or does it get a new version too?

Hmmm… I just noticed something. When Classic Sonic got hurt, he didn’t loose all his rings. Come on Sega, don’t pussy out this game, I want a challange…
    Still thrilled as hell though.

I don’t mean to spoil the fun, but looks like the game is going to be a one big fan bait O_o It’s not about characters or their world, it just a mirror of fan desires. In a word, it’s not about Sonic, it’s about you

Am I the only one who still just sees improved Sonic Colours painted in metric fucktons of fan bait? Level design looks meh, there’s interesting sections but also a lot of pointless parts, dickspeed lack of flow and alternate paths. In fact there’s just as much dickspeed in the classic version as in the modern one except the GUN truck chase part.

Gee, where do I begin……
      I don’t remember this game advertising that it would have the same
      diverse level design as the classics, flow, and alternative paths, only classic gameplay-and they have a good amount of that nailed so far.
      It’s comments like these that I wonder if the posters who post them are purists that still don’t get the fact that this game isn’t made by the original Sonic Team. Not to mention that you’re looking at a recently unveiled level of a beta version of the game that celebrates 20 years of the franchise and clearly screams NOSTALGIA WHORING so loud it’s earrape-thus explaining “painted in metric fucktons of fan bait.” One last thing-the level design may be “meh”, the gameplay parts may be “pointless,” it may have “dickspeed” lack of flow and alternative parts (or so it looks like in the gameplay you saw), but it is 10000000000000x better than the game that claims to have “unrivalled classic feel” and probably rehases as much as this entire game – the abomination known as Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1.

I really love where this game is going.  I’d say more, but it would just be mirroring your comments, so I’ll bring up one thing that wasn’t said…

I’m a bit disappointed that there is actual singing in the 2D Sonic stages.  I think that this rendition of the song would better suit the 3D version of this stage.

That said, I’m really looking forward to this game!  Please include Starlight Zone!

Who sings it…who? It…it sounds soo hehe awesome…its looks sooo hawsome!

Ted Poley and Tony Harnell, which both have done several songs for the Sonic series.
      Anyways, I am a freak for Sonic music and almost listen to Sonic music exclusively on my MP3 player, and I know the original Escape From the City by heart. I tipicially like the remixes for the songs that are found on OSTs for Sonic games, and at first when I heard this remix, I was like “On no! Sega, WHY!?!?”. But when I listened to it for a second time, I started thinking it was a perfect fit. I am getting slightly tired of Sonic games using more techno beats instead of rock music, but at least this remix is pretty cool. I can’t wait to get the OST for this game already!

Click on a tab to select how you'd like to leave your comment