Fan Works, Hacking

Boost to Win: Classic Edition [Updated]

PolygonJim is one of the raddest dudes at Sonic Retro. He has been responsible for so much stuff that I’ve lost count. All of the resources that he uncovered in the Generations demo was clutch, but his latest hack is really awesome (and kind of funny). What would happen if Modern Sonic was able to tread the same ground as his chubby counterpart? Thanks to Jim, we know the answer.

Discussion for this hack can be found at this thread.

UPDATE: Check past the jump for a hilarious video of Classic Sonic in Modern Sonic’s level.

heheh…if vice versa works perfectly, then why shouldnt SEGA give us the option to change to 2D, or 2D and 3D/ XD

In theory, this wouldn’t be really hard for Sega to do as an extra unlockable for, say, getting all the S Ranks in the game (meaning there would actually be a POINT to getting them in the first place.) It’s really just changing a few values around and maybe editing Modern’s stages a tiny bit.

But I don’t see them doing this. It’s too good an idea and the most we’ll get is just Super Sonic in stages again. Not that that’s a bad thing, but having the ability to switch characters for stages would make things pretty interesting.

Gene, that would be an amazing feature. Just as long as Classic gets a little fine-tuning in the speed department (as far as 3D sections go).

I think they should enable these play modes through debug via sound test. It would be nostalgic to use 19,65,9,17 again :p

That would be the level select, not debug :p

agreed =D up, down, left, right (ring chime) press start+a at title screen

Can’t wait for the action replay code for this. (No idea if there’s an action replay code for 360 or not) I would play the whole game exactly like this the second time through.

lol @ Action Replay in this console generation.

Not gonna lie, when I first read the article title, I thought it was supposed to be a parody of “Race to Win” and be some kind of Generations/Rivals feature.

Anyone else notice how much classic Sonic in modern mode looks like the sprite from Sonic 2’s special stages?

Nah, it’s more like the Sonic CD special stages for me.

I wonder if they originally intended to do this with the whole Classic Sonic in the monitor picture from a while ago? I doubt it, but it’s possible since it was (apparently) easy to do this hack.

One last question involving the menu and such. I have the Xbox demo and all I get to play as is the classic stage. How is that guy getting brightness settings and such like that? Or for another matter, selecting modern Sonic? My friend has the demo on PS3 and he has exactly what I have. Does he have special access or something?

He hacked the demo so he gets the (supposed) final game’s menu screen and Modern Sonic. No one will have this unless they hack the demo or purchase the full game when it’s out.

It’s called “Hacking” for a reason, my friend.

He hacked the demo. It should only have the Play Demo and 3D Options selections, and just Classic Sonic’s Green Hill.

He hacked the demo which gave his access to all features normally blocked off to everybody else.

Oh man that’s just so awesome. I’d LOVE that as a feature in the game. I take it the Classic in Modern cuts short because he’d just die every time he hits that ring, right?

The game crashes after that point, I assume, because Classic Sonic doesn’t have trick animations. Or isn’t programmed to do tricks. Something like that.

this tells me why classic sonic is 2d the spinny feet looks terrible but does omachao HAVE to be in the game

[…] comes courtesy of Sonic Retro, and after the jump you will find Modern Sonic playing the Classic Sonic version of Green […]

classic sonic plays a little to well in modern sonic level, i smell 2p co-op =D. also that play of classic in modern level felt more like dreamcast sonic, thats exactly what itwould of been like if they made another sonic just a little faster and homing attack but no boosting like classic

Whent he game comes out, or if they do a City Escape demo, I want to see this applied there as well. That should be pretty awesome too.

At the rate classic sonics running I could probably beat him to the goal ring. Of course using thise boost is the only reason why Modern Sonic is faster

On second thought… HE is lucky he’s going down hill, little momentum based bastard

I love how classic sonic can’t handle rainbow rings.

it is also cool how classic sonic can grind and control in 3d

I just rotflmaool’d at this awesomeness we have here. He probably won’t, but Polygon Jim must show us the ways of getting both the 2-level demo and the swapped-Sonics version of it onto our PS3s.

Am I the only one who thinks classic in modern’s level is WHAT SEGA SHOULD HAVE DONE ALL ALONG?

I agree completely with you. This is what I’ve been waiting for since 1999.

And for all we know, Sega hasn’t even thought of this concept :’ |

I seriously think that if SEGA ever did this, they’d have to make the levels A LOT shorter. Can you say “slow as a snail”?

Opinion alert
        And that’s why I believe that SA1 and SA2 have some of the longest stages IMO of the Sonic universe, mainly because of the speed of Sonic – not quite Modern, not quite Classic – but rather its own speed in between the two. Yet it progressed with the speed of Sonic 3 & Knuckles’ long stages IMO.
        (Note to self: PLAY THE GAMES TO MAKE A VALID OPINION) (yeah, I’m basing this from what I’ve seen of the game…)

I think Classic froze there because of a lack of animations for the combos.

I do believe a repackaged .pkg should be put on the net for us PS3 users. At least give us the full content, I’m aching to play as Modern Sonic again.

Classic plays… slow in 3D. REALLY slow. On flat straight-aways, that is. It would drag out the levels FAR too much (the spindash saves his life though), as opposed to Modern, who moves faster, even when NOT boosting (slippery lil’ guy isn’t he?). Also, his jumps don’t have enough vertical reach in 3D.

But I will not refuse to acknowledge that he absolutely kicks @$$ in the second-dimension. That guy was flying! Until he came to complete stop (I’m assuming that wasn’t intentional).

You know, all of this really makes you wonder: “Does Classic Sonic REALLY belong in 3D?” Because that 3D run looked pretty sluggish compared to the 2D ones that he does.

Moving on to Modern…

Anyone else notice the speedcap placed on Modern? He runs just as fast as Classic would, and boosting makes no difference. And on top of that, he can get through loops with his own momentum (see first loop). WHAT? MODERN CAN USE MOMENTUM? HOLY S#!T. I also see that Modern uses his slide technique much like the rolling maneuver from Sonic 1, but this time with a “cancel” to it. So he’s like Classic Sonic, except taller.

Besides, all boosting is is just a glorified spin-dash.

“Boost to Win: Classic Edition” my @$$. More like “Boost to Look Like You’re Going Faster”.

“… Classic Edition”

Wow…thank you for this post. This justifies my thought that Modern Sonic is as workable as he was back as Classic Sonic!

It’s still possible. Would it really hurt to add Homing Attack to classic Sonic? And notice how the spindash isn’t used at all, would could had been used to destroy a lot of the badniks in the narrow sections. Heck, maybe some of the elemental shields could be tricked out a bit (i.e. when Sonic’s at top speed, he turns into a flaming ball that knocks enemies out of his way. I know it sounds like the boost, but still.)

Wouldn’t Classic Sonic with a homing attack basically be Dreamcast Sonic?

Design-wise, no.
          Gameplay-wise, yes. So?

I actually like it. 😀

Wow. You know, Modern Sonic seems go through Classic Sonic’s level 5 times better then he does.

Sonic is a bit rusty.

Man, those videos are confusing me as hell!

With some things fixed, they would play so plain well. There’s something there that is not going on my head. Dunno what’s… @_@

And thumbs up for this as an unlockable feature!!

I really, really liked the Classic Sonic in Modern Sonic’s gameplay. That is how I always imagined a reimagined Green Hill Zone would be like, for a modern audience. Mr PolygonJim, take a bow, that was brilliant.

[…] Sonic Retro & Sonic Retro […]