Game News

Video: Sonic Generations Goes On the Spot

Sonic Generations’ new brand manager, Aaron Webber, stopped by the GameSpot offices in San Francisco for another episode of “On the Spot,” where full playthroughs of both Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic in Green Hill were showcased.  Ricardo Torres is the man.

For those wondering, the GameSpot tickets for “Sonic Boom” are gone, but stay tuned.  Retro, Stadium and other outlets will have more tickets in the coming days.  Special thanks to Woun for the video upload.

I now hate this video because it showed me that hoodie and I fell in love instantly. I have looked for the last half an hour and it is only sold in the US. I live in England. The only Sonic hoodie we can buy has 2 item boxes on it with no actual Hedgehog on it :/

It’s really hard to love Sega sometimes.

Wow, marketing something you put in Hot Topic months ago for a game. I’d call that lazy to be honest.

I love how the interviewer consistently avoids referring to ‘Modern Sonic’ as Sonic.

“This Sonic we all know and love, pudgy and cool and we also have this toy with this tall guy.”

I’d say it’s a safe bet which “generation” he prefers.

Oh, those Modern fans! So many of them! And here I thought they were re-instating Retro-Sonic for the demand, silly me!

They keep bringing back Unleashed style gameplay because of the feedback?? Damn, people, did no one like the Sonic Adventure 1/2 style? I would love this game so much more if there were better 3D parts. The kind with the perfect blend of speed and platforming, a perfect rendition of the classic gameplay into the third dimension. Instead we got speed running through levels, refusing to enjoy them, a neglect on platforming, awkward steering controls because of a “move straight forward” formula, and poor replayability. Why is there so much positive feedback for this modern style??

The Adventure style has aged poorly and, at the same time, outside of small pockets of the fanbase, all appeal for that gameplay style was killed when Sonic 2006 dropped.

Yes, there’s tons of arguments that could be made about that game being ruined by a multitude of reasons, but it still left a bad mark on the gameplay entirely.

I personally enjoyed the Adventure formula myself over Unleashed style too, and was hoping it would return in an expanded format that isn’t… broken like 06 was. Granted, the Unleashed formula has its own charm, imo, but it does lack the depth I was expecting them to pursue at least once after 06 sapped the fun from the formula.

It will be interesting, though, to see how they adapt the Dreamcast levels to Unleashed style (I believe City Escape was mentioned/pseudo-confirmed?). I have a feeling I’m the only one hoping they make an adaptation of Blizzard Coast from Sonic Shuffle, since it could be pretty interesting considering it’s a hybrid motif.

Sonic Unleashed is better designed than Sonic Adventure in so many ways. I thought the same as you did, really. But, it’s really the other way around. Unleashed is simply put, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Advance, Sonic Rush, Sonic Heroes, Sonic 06, and all the good things from 3D games put together into one game, which is Unleashed’s Daytime levels.

They should really stop referring to Sonic as “Modern” or “Classic”. It’s the same character with a few design changes. He’s still the run fast blue hedgehog regardless of era. The whole “classic” and “Modern” differentiation doesn’t do the fanbases any solids.
    Make what you will of that.

Here here!

Click on a tab to select how you'd like to leave your comment