Miscellaneous

New Mega Drive PS3 Dynamic Theme is Rad

In one of the few instances where Europe gets super cool things before us in the States, SEGA has dropped an amazing Mega Drive dynamic theme in the latest PS3/PSN update.  A fan’s bedroom from the 90s is the setting, featuring classic games playing on the television with subtle movement of the controller cord.  The only thing that the theme is missing is this kid.  According to the store, when you download this theme (if you’re a Playstation Plus member), “you can download this exclusive item and keep it forever!”  Very cool.

Also, while there is music in this video, it has been clarified that there is no music in the theme.

[via SEGAbits]

😮 This is chronologically wrong. If this is supposed to be a 90’s bedroom, why is there a Robotnik figure sporting the Sonic Adventure look. Sega, you done goofed ;D

I noticed that too! Maybe it’s 1999? 😛

I love the Altered Beast poster, and that old style TV is rad.

segaloco: Sonic Adventure came out in 1998 didn’t it?

I got this theme, not using it though at the moment

1999.

Well, technically, SA came out in 1998 IN JAPAN with a lotsa glitches and no online functions. When the game got released around the world, many glitches were fixed and DLCs were added, so SOJ released a special International Edition (That is the same one from the UK and USA), replacing the old one in the stores. After a while, this version was simply retitled Sonic Adventure. So SA was released in 1998!

DO WANT! 😀

>new Robotnik

Seriously SEGA come on…I’m not gonna bitch and moan but..

…come on. That’s an obvious goof.

Best theme ever.
    Dont have a ps3 though…

This menu is really hard to read, even on my large HDTV in 1080p
    sort of a problem with it being a menu

The menu should have been made 8-bit.

Man, I’d LOVE to have this theme!
    It seems it’s only for the excruciatingly lame Playstation+ service, though. :/
    It additionally appears to be Europe-only according to Segabits?

Still, this theme would be great. The low framerate’s mildly annoying, but the overall theme behind it is just… wow. It’s awesome.

Nice. I love it.
    Though the cords move a bit too smoothly to be considered human for me.
    I can only imagine a squid monster playing two players at once by itself. xD

I don’t own a PS3 and can say that the Xbox360 themes are stink compared to this. I’d rather have custom ones anyway but if your gonna pay for a dumb theme it should be good like this.

Now if it could just be programed to only show games from your own personal collection.