Fan Works

A Fan Game Got Released? A Finished One?

Sure, we’ve been treated to finished fan games like the excellent and wacky Eggman Hates Furries recently, but when it comes to fan games that are set out to be a classic Sonic title, those have been a rare breed.  Sonic fan gaming has been through a lot in the last decade.  We went from having no 360-degree movement to people knocking down SEGA’s door, holding up the Sonic Fan Remix demo and shouting, “THIS.”  Sonic fan games that started up in the last decade were along for the ride, moving from new engine to new engine as programmers further replicated the classic Sonic experience.  With that came heightened expectations and only a few select projects are still kickin’.

One of these games was Sonic Classic (formerly Sonic 1 PC).  If I’m counting correctly, this baby has been gestating for about 12 years now.  Bouncing from engine to engine, Hez, the game’s creator, has settled in what has been the Click-product standard for some time, Sonic Worlds.  It’s now available for you to play.

Though, be warned, many Retro members are reporting multiple glitches.  If you find some, help Hez for his 1st revision release by posting in the game’s thread in our forums.  Download the game at the links below and check out a trailer past the jump.

Sonic Classic (Full Game) | With Music
Sonic Classic (Full Game) | Without Music

So, I am downloading the game at this moment. I’ve long waited for the game, but I couldn’t check the thread, because the topic is not accessible for non-members (as well as the entire fangaming section…).

Just a question: why isn’t the fangaming section accessible for non-members?

Looks like you’ll just have to sign up for the forum.

I’ve signed up once. And sort of was deemed useless for Retro, I think. I can’t make another account, once that both will get banished if I do that. Another thing: they leave you with no means to contact the admins…

If you were deemed unfit for the forum, then that’s that.

Me too. We’re in a sad place bud.

I’m able to read the thread just fine, despite having never registered for the forums.

A lot of forums have been having trouble with spammers and bot accounts from certain ISP’s of late – if you’re genuinely not able to read the thread, you might want to try and reach Scarred Sun in the IRC.

I’ve been having trouble signing up in the first place “Registration code doesn’t match”. I tried it multiple times thinking I made a mistake, but the problem persists. The case sensitive characters can be hard to determine, but I’m pretty sure it’s just not working. Anyone else have this problem?

July 2010? Already?

So, yeah, good stuff.

That’s impossible, everybody knows Sonic fan games always get themselves distracted some time after their hype-building one-Zone demos and never see the light of day. These are clearly links to an optical illusion resembling a finished(-ish) game.

Or we’re all insane and are sharing the same delusional fantasy-world.  Seriously, there’s no non-reality-breaking explanation for seeing a fangame that’s actually finished.  I think the Universe has been photoshopped!

….now THAT….is an expansive game. I at first was pretty “meh” when watching..

…then there were modes
    …and an explorable Special Stage
    …and OLD stages with NEW twists
    …and GOING LEFT MODE HOLY SHIT
    …and 0 RINGS FINAL DESTINATION Mode

…and all those stages…LEGITIMATELY NEW BOSSES AND LEGITIMATELY NEW STAGES.

…….;_____; I wish I had a PC gamepad. *goes to Amazon.com to find sum*

Nice one! Really great!.. Thou still weak, laggy and odd 🙁 Physics for example.
    And why do people love to stick Sonic CD stuff into their own ones? As for me – I really hate all this 8-like-legged dash, nor 80-s-lsd-round-n-round-spinning by springs..

Hope author will continue his work with help of community because, as I said, IT IS already fine.

Works on a Mac?

Does not work on a Mac.

I both love and hate those words

I hope HEZ reads this because I just want him to know that I havent played a sonic game keeping me on my toes in a friggin long time. I am now at death egg and holy fuck. That big thing fucking scared the hell out of me. I was so friggin shocked lol. Man what an awesome game.

Well anyway, I wanna make a constructive post about this game. Seeing the whole negativity at the forums about the glitches etc, I mean yes they are there but hell this game deserves to be PRAISED.

Let me start and say that you have basically made the perfect decision in making the game play a lot more similar to sonic 1 and sonic CD. Seriously, how good sonic 2 and 3 and knuckles were, in no way did they keep the player alert like the 1 and CD.

Your level design is excellent. It’s not a mess, it’s memorable and not tedious. It’s challenging and does NOT IN ANY WAY encourage the player to hold right. DIMPS makes these awful level designs where your running whole lines and than all of a sudden it’s little bit of platforming. You seem to have a good skill for level design.

What’s more. The game is just awesome. It feels so complete, so official apart from the glitches.

There were of course a few things that could be done better or changed. I really hope you take some in consideration.

The little starpost bonus stages. They really need some work. You have 3 if I haven’t missed any. The one where you fall down is a great idea, but if you’d be able to, make a falling animation. A skydiving animation. If you can pull it off that’d be great.

The one from sonic 3 is of course allready good tway it is.

The slotmachine. Basically if you got the right timing, you’ll be able to stock up lots of lifes. Feels kind of cheating, and I hate cheating. Making it auto would be a better idea maybe.

The special stages (emerald collecting) Are really well done. But the first special stage feels like a cheat with all those rings. Basically if you decide to not get the first emerald, you can get 4 lifes per special stage. Maybe it would be better to reduce the count to 200 per special stage.

This above isn’t really gamebreaking, but it’s just for the balance and make things feel more “right”.

Well anyway let’s continue. The stage order is a thing that bothers me. This is something you might not change, but when I got to dusty dunes I was expecting more interesting level design. And the lava/ice stage would make alot more sense later instead of being the second zone. Well anyway that’s that.

Oh yeah one more thing. Make the “keeping all your stuff” at checkpoints an option.

Everything for the challenge. I love your game. Polish it up, there are a lot of glitches so.

Everytime I collect rings in this game, the game lags. Can someone help me?

I blame a weak computer.

Actually, my PC is pretty strong. It has an Nvidia 9600GT 512MB, 2 GB of RAM, Core 2 Duo 2GHZ, and running on Windown 7 Ultimate, and it lags on rings. It’s an amazing game but this makes the game nearly unplayable. I believe this lag is caused by the effect that happens when you collect a ring. I know it looks nice HEZ, but it’s just too much to run considering how nice your game looks. Remove a few effects or better yet have an option to turn effects off. This may just be the Crysis of sonic fan games lol.

This game is awesome so far. I love the ring sprites and everything. I haven’t beaten the game yet, since I downloaded it just now, but I am loving Crystal Caverns. It’s like Marble Zone, (just a lot less tedious) Ice Cap Zone, Scrap Brain Zone, and a whole lot of awesome zones. I hope you make more excellent fan games like this, Hez. Kudos!

Got a question here. I’ve downloaded the game and all and the music doesn’t seem to work. I’ve extracted all the music files and still nothing, oh and yes the sound is on max.

Do I need a pc?

I really hate the jumping mechanics when you stand still, and the after invincibility length is pretty short.

Also some confusing level design but it’s alright.

I like how buggy this one is. Sonic completely disappears at times and so do HUD graphics. Hell, some enemies don’t seem to have collision detection, because I can walk right through them without getting hurt, or hurting them.

tried it out, not bad but has a lot of issues, for example the saving feature does not work at all except to save the special stage rings you used without even saving the collected chaos emeralds, when you die and start again from a check point all collected rings will be gone, ending a level does not always lock control allowing Sonic to do a “moon-run” at times, you get stuck just about anywhere, i was stuck at one of the giant hand boosters while trying to do the super peal out with it, joystick options has a lot of issues and keyboard controls are lost sometimes when i get a game over, setting “full screen” in options makes the screen go zoomed in that you can’t seem to see anything, but yeah my major issue is the save issue, please fix those!

hell….it’s about time. THANK YOU!! Maybe this will set a precedent! (for more finished fangames). Anyways, awesome stuff, thanks.

FINALLY A fan game thats finished! Sweet. tired of spamming my sonic retro fan game demo. i wish that game was finished. :'(. I love egg gardens zone

I found another thing that I found kinda bad. When playing with tails, stages can be finished by just flying. Normally doing that is impossible in the classics, since tails is not able to fly long and to add flying is also slow. This gave a great balance and you couldn’t really cheat the flying ability.

Well anyway just pointing it out. I finished whole stages by just flying.

Wow ! and I really mean WOW ! That was a great game ! I only have to mention the following problems :
    – The physics need a little improvement .
    – There is a bug in the 2nd stage of the 1st zone , where once I finished the special stage (the one with Sonic flying on a rocket) I also finished the level as well !
    – The screen has to be a little larger . I thing it can be a little larger without exceeding the original screen dimensions .
    – The song heard at each stage should repeat itself once it is over (at least at the 1st stage of Zone 2 once the song was over it stopped completely and there were only sound effects) .

Other than that , the graphics and music really made feel like in the old 16 bits era . Thank you very much for offering me that !

Verry Good Game! This needs a sequel! (sorry for my last comment,that was a bug)

So, I’ve been playing the game and found a bit of strange things.

First: Is a Sempron 3400+ with Windows XP SP3, 1.8Ghz 1GB RAM supposed to be capable of play this game smoothly? It’s kinda slow on my PC…

Second: Why, when you get to some Special Stage, after this you’re kicked to the next Act?

Third: There’s a big bug on the slot bonus stage. You start to lose lives when you get there.

But anyways, for what I’ve played, this game is marvelous, Hez. Just need some fixes and that’s that.

Great game!. It’s a pity that when playing in Ubuntu with Wine, after finishing Hazel Hill Zone, the game gets blocked. Did this happen to you too? How did you fix it?

I can’t get past the second zone everytime i pass it and leave it puts me rite back with one choas emarald after a collected 3 or 4.it just decides to stop saving after that.plus some werid glitches happen like sonic transforms into things like an arrow or something and i cant move forcing me to restart the game.Also for the second special stage somethimes they give me the fire sheild and it gets annnyoing cause sonic keeps flying off and not jumping staright.so if u could please see to these if you don’t mind.Thanks

That could be the debug mode in the game i accidently opened the debug mode lol

how do you get the music to play? can someone plz help me out?

When finishing the game by flying high over the finishing board you get back restarting the zone as if you died.. in gigapolis act 1 at least

Special Stage Rings.
    Special Stage Rings everywhere.

YOU ARE GOD!!!!!!!
    this is a great game!

Why is this game so laggy even on my new computer?

Hey guys! To everyone who is experiencing lag in this game, I figured out the problem! If your running on Windown Vista, or 7 run the program in compadibility mode, and then pick Windows Xp Service Pack 2. I swear it works. Even fixes the ring lag.

This didn’t stop the ring lag for me, unfortunately.

I have a question… Do gamepads work? Because mine surely isn’t. And it’s in perfect condition.

Mac OSX compile please.

Got all the way to Robot Rave Zone.  Great gameplay, great bosses.

Got a Game Over, went to my savegame.  Found I started back at Hazel Hill Zone.  It didn’t save my progress.  At all.

Said “Fuck that” and shut the game off.  Lost interest.