Fan Works, Hacking

SonED2 Gets First Major Update Since 2004

Stealth’s Twitter feed might be my favorite just because of updates like these.  They always manage to bring a smile to my face, especially today.  Why?  For the first time since 2004, SonED2, the premier Sonic 2 editor, has received a major overhaul.

Before you start thinking about 2004 and how much of a goof you were then, let’s get to what’s new.   Support for Sonic 3 (& Knuckles), Sonic CD, Knuckles’ Chaotix/Sonic Crackers and Sonic 1 Special Stages has been added.  In addition, a new level project format allows your custom stages to be compatible with Sonic 2’s versus mode.

Brand new to SonED2 this time around is “ROMulan.”  It’s so intense and rad that I will let Stealth explain it.

This game-independent tool simplifies the management of modified data, easing the process of modifying and testing pre-compiled/assembled games through the use of two script file types- “Batch Files”, and “Injector Files”. The “Batch File” lists a series of commands for ROMulan to perform, such as extracting data, copying files, running external programs for processes such as data conversion, and/or calling on the “Injector Files”. The Injector Files describe the layout of a game program/data file in such a way that ROMulan can re-insert the data into the original file regardless of whether or not the size of the data has changed. They provide information on where any data that must be relocated can be stored without damaging other vital data and code, and how it should update the program and other data pointers in order for the game to correctly use the relocated data. If proper script files exist or are created for any particular game, these processes are entirely automated, and can be started by simply opening the appropriate Batch File.

For the full details of the release, head on over to Stealth’s forum, “Organized Chaos.”

This pleases me. It’s really cool to see and far more what retro’s about than shit like AKR’s movie and “Sonic Anniversary: Will our Dreams Come True?”

Sonic CD hacks. Sonic CD hacks. Sonic CD hacks. Sonic CD hacks. Sonic CD hacks. Sonic CD hacks.

This day is better than steak.

Romulicious

Yay! This should make my hack much more easier to make. Thanks, Stealth! Tis about time SonEd2 gets an update, glad to see that SonEd is not dead. Downloading now…

Support for Sonic 3 (& Knuckles)

EFFING finally.

Hm, I could use ROMulan for more than Sonic hacks, I believe. Still, this is a pretty sweet update. Keep up the good work guys 🙂

“guys”? more like “guy”. SonED is made by one person. 🙂

Nice to see people here at Retro happy about something for once instead of being forced to make blogs about how much SEGA and modern Sonic sucks. THIS is what I miss about Retro, the amazing hacking/development utilities that these incredibly talented people make. I don’t need to read another blog about how stupid the fact is that copyright laws can’t stop Sonic.

Your thoughts aren’t too different from most of ours.

We post that kind of stuff pretty regularly, but thanks for being an ass, though.

It’s nice to have a Sonic CD PC editor that works on something other than Windows 95.

CD PC, not CD MCD? (checking)

As hard as i try I cant seem to wrap my head around this program. I want to to edit sonic games so bad though, It would be a dream come true.
    Is there anyone out there that can help me?
    First of all when i go to file open project and try to open a sep file I just get errors.

Seems its time I try the program again.
    I used to just poke at it now and then.
    I’d love to make a Knuckles Chaotix level redesign and make it alot less confusing.
    Also the pcx insertion sounds great, though maybe that’s an old feature I dunno.
    Makes me wanna make some random pinball table only sonic 2 hack. xD Or some random thing.