Game Secrets, Site News

Monday Links: Quacktastic Edition

When does fan-film season end?  Any time soon would be great.

Sonic Retro News

SEGA/Sonic News

• Kellie is back to help you dominate Starlight Carnival: Act 1 with the official SEGA guide. [SEGA Blogs]
  • The amazing Sonic Colors soundtrack is coming to iTunes. [GoNintendo]
  • Our friends at SEGAbits (who are really good at getting news during dead periods, by the way, so read them) break the news that The Condizzle 2 has been delayed again.  This time, back to April 19th.  In related news, SEGA loves to make sequels for games that nobody asked for. [SEGAbits]
  • SEGA also loves to whore out its back catalog to remind you, “Remember when we made good games?” [Eurogamer]
  • 411mania’s “Bytes & Flops” takes a retrospective look at Sonic 3D Blast. Is it deserving of the scorn it has received?  My answer has been the same since it came out: of course, dummy.  See if their opinion differs. [411mania]
  • Another retrospective review: Sonic 3 & Knuckles.  Spoiler: it’s great. [DigitalSpy]

Other Stuff

• Carmen Sandiego is coming to Facebook.  I can hear Rockapella singing in the distance. [The Atlantic]
  • Macho Man Randy Savage is still alive and kickin’.  He has still got it! [IGN YouTube]
  • What does your home state suck at?  This map will let you know. [Pleated Jeans]

Monday Video

I’ve always wanted to draw a blue duck.

Don’t be stupid.  Have a great week!

The 411 link does not work.

“Access denied for user ‘apache’@’localhost’ (using password: NO)”

Also, Sonic 3D Blast is fun on every system I play it on; I love it.

Odd.  Nothing was wrong with the URL.  I just “re-published” the post.  See if it works.  If not, here’s the link: http://www.411mania.com/games/columns/170980/-Bytes-&-Flops-1.21.2011:-Sonic-3D-Blast.htm

…Okay, now it works, but not everything said is right or full of opinion. By this I mean they say one reason the game failed was its controls – they were fine if you knew what you were doing!

“Sonic seems to stop moving about a half-second after you’ve already let go of the directional button.” ? – Yeah, that’s him slowing down. What’s the problem?

“Sonic 3D Blast just is not very fun to play. The controls are awkward at best, completely unresponsive at worst and it never offers the same precision that came standard in other platformers from the era.” – Because the average player/reviewer simply doesn’t know how to control Sonic in this game, it appears. Come on, I mastered his movement at the age of six. Be aware of where he’s going and there really isn’t any reason to not be able to control him. If there’s a word I’d pick to describe the controls, “unresponsive” is not one I would consider.

You’ve got to admit that there’s a steep curve to master the controls in S3DB, though.  It’s also hard to judge distance when trying to jump on enemies/platforms.

Yeah, that’s true. The distance thing is more true for higher-up platforms than for the enemies in most cases.

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by :T, Sonic Retro. Sonic Retro said: Monday Links: Quacktastic Edition http://bit.ly/eDsuZv […]

Saturn 3D Blast is the only version worth playing, just for the infinitely superior Special Stages.

The soundtrack’s also dandy.

Do you know what else would be Quacktastic? The return of Scratch and Grounder’s weekly advice… or is Scratch back in tolerance training again? Maybe they can remind kids how bad the Werehog was, or demand to be put in as main characters in a Sonic 2 hack? Ba ha ha ha!

I’ve got a fever. And the only prescription … is more Grounder and Scratch!!!

I’m more excited about The Oregon Trail coming to Facebook, myself.

Lol you really went all out with this one xD. hahaha great stuff

Yea. I remember when Sega made good games. Games like…

Bayonetta
    Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing
    Yakuza 3
    Resonance of Fate
    After Burner Climax
    Valkeria Chronicles 2
    Sonic Colors
    Vanquish

That was ALLLL the way back in 2010. Good times. Good times.

“Crap,crap,megacrap.” – J. Jonah Jameson, Spider-man (2002)

Ah…it’s so joyous when no one gets along and everyone acts like their own opinion is the ultimate one…

It’s beyond joyous. It’s quacktastic. Didn’t you watch the video?

EPIC WIN!

Thank you. You’re welcome.

I read that list as “Average Games featuring Yakuza 3, the one great game.”

That depends on who you ask. If you dare say American Yakuza 3 is a great game you are asking for a death wish for some reason.

I quite liked Bayonetta and would probably enjoy VC2 if I had a PSP. That being said, still haven’t played any Yakuza game whatsoever.

Is it just me or does Slingerland hate everything made after 1998

Not just you, bud. I’m still writing my essay-style thesis especially for Slingerland discussing why Sonic Adventure doesn’t suck. But yeah, good luck finding any SEGA game Slingerland likes which was released after ’98.

“Essay-style thesis discussing why Sonic Adventure doesn’t suck.”
        What a great use of your time.  Remember, when you’re wasting said time, cultural impact of the game doesn’t apply to a game’s design and technical prowess.  If only it were 1999 again, I’d still be liking it.

Noted that already. I don’t blame Sonic Adventure’s greatness to nostalgia or cultural impact. I’m especially picky about this stuff, but if the Sonic series is my second-favorite game series ever and Sonic Adventure is my second-favorite game of said series, I’m pretty sure there’s a little more to it than just nostalgia…also, you mind telling me how I should contact you? Your page info has several contacts…

Get a job.

I’m a minor. Not happening for a couple years.

Out of curisosity, what is your favorite game series and favorite Sonic game?

Will I get judged for this? Aw heck, it’s not like I really care.

Favorite Game Series: Mario

Favorite Sonic Game: Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, followed closely behind by SA1 and S3&K.

If it has Sonic on it and it’s not a 2D-platformer on the Game Boy Advance, then yes, I probably don’t like it.

Looks like we only have Air Pollution. Not to bad I guess.

“No, bros, it(Sonic Unleashed) definitely sucks”

Now kids, is that a fact or an opinion?

Kids: FACT!
    Me: Um no… wrong
    Kids: Have you played it?
    Me: …

Now, I wouldn’t say it SUCKED…but there’s several things about that game that still make me cringe.

FACT but it was significantly better than weaker efforts like Colors or, I dunno, SONIC ADVENTURE!!!

Yes, the Wii and PS2 versions of Unleashed are terrible. I completely agree. 😀

Is Sonic flying the wrong way in that Riders pic?

See, Sega are ignoring the one game that -does- need a sequel, Sonic Labyrinth!