Miscellaneous

Retro Shopping Network: Atgames Motion Controlled Mini-Genesis [Update: Video]

You’ve probably seen one of these knock-off mini-Genesis’ at a Toys-R-Us or mall kiosk at some point in your life.  I’m damn sure you ain’t seen some shit like this here.  Right here, we’ve got the “Atgames Motion Controlled Mini-Genesis Console,” some sort of Wii/Genesis hybrid, featuring motion controlled games and an SD card slot.  It’s also shaped like Sonic’s motherfudgin’ head.  Coming in at $35, it might be worth a look, but I’m probably going to make fun of it because it’s an Atgames piece of shit.

Check out its many features (12/15 UPDATE: and a video!) past the jump.

As you can see by this image, you get 110+ games with this package.  That’s a straight-up lie.  You really get 40.  The other 70 games are Genesis games broken up into a “level select” kind of list.  For example, you get Sonic the Hedgehog in full, but then this console lists “Green Hill Plus” (which is acts 1 & 2) and “Green Hill 3” as separate games.  Why would you need to pad the console in this manner?  That’s mad stupid.

If you’ve played any of the thousand Genesis compilations out there, you probably have a good idea of which classics you are going to get.  BUT WAIT!  THERE’S MORE!  This console has the word “motion” in the title, so there has to be a catch here.  Out of the 40 games, you only get 15 Genesis games.  The other 25 are “interactive sports games” and “arcade” games, featuring modern classics like “Joy of Ping Pong” and “Mr. Balls.” *snicker* Really?  The box has the Genesis logo and Sonic everywhere and the “other” games outnumber the Genesis ones?  They’ve got the whole “misleading” thing down pat!

For a full list of the games you’re getting here, check this list from the Sega-16 forums.  It’s the second list (not the arcade stick one).

Atgames is no stranger to these knock-off consoles.  Some of their previous Genesis plug-and-play consoles allowed you to use your Genesis cartridge, in addition to coming with games built-in.  They’re pretty fucking terrible, with the sound emulation being the absolute worst part about them.  I’ve asked a few people about this new motion iteration and they say that it’s no different here.  If you thought some Genesis music was bad before, just wait until you hear it through an Atgames plug-and-play console.  It’s Jun’s dying cats times 100.

One cool addition is the SD card slot.  You can download awful games to it, but you can put your BIN files on it, too.  Yeah, forget all the built-in games.  Just load an SD card full of Genesis ROMs and you’re good to go.  A few people told me that the emulation is all around better if you use a BIN file, which renders the whole package pretty much worthless if you’ve got an SD card.  (Oh, and Sonic Retro doesn’t condone emulation or some shit like that.)

Like I said, it’s $35.  The reason I even put this crap up is because I saw it at Walgreens for $30 while picking up a prescription and said, “Wow, this must be terrible.  I should write about it because I like writing about terrible things.”  It’s an expensive, glorified (and shittier) Gens for your TV.  If you’ve ever received one of these things or (gasp) bought one, tell us about your experience in the comments below.

Everybody knows that the only good plug-and-play console is NHL ’95 anyway.

[via SEGA-16 Forums]

12/15 Update: Chimpo has uploaded some footage to YouTube of the console. Watch a snowboarding game and Sonic 2 with awful sound:

I love the warped, distorted, almost-anatomically-correct Sonic head-resembling console itself.

I saw this in a Toys R’ Us catalog and I thought, “who the fuck do these people think they are?”

I’ve never had the experience of playing a knock-off genesis. I own two working SEGA 2’s… I almost want to try this thing JUST to see how bad it can be…

SEGA needs to make a SEGA 4, and show everyone how it’s done… An official Genesis with a memory card slot, or two would be awesome… Maybe even the ability to copy your actual carts to the card…

Sounds like a good thing for playing hacks on the tv to me.

I want one of these just so I can compare this shitty thing to my actual Model 1 and 2. :V And my gf can get a discount on it, so I won’t be paying the full price.

God speed then.

The only question I have is that lets say you got a game with Genesis SRAM (i.e. Sonic 3) on your SD Card. Would it save that SRAM to the System, SD Card, or just Trash it? That would be horrible if they just trashed the SRAM. It is a Knock-Off Console though.

God no.

Is the SEGA Genesis 3 considered a knock-off? I know it is sorta, but to this extent?

I have a chinese MD clone with SD slot. The sound is mono, but at least it sounds better compared with this. Is called e-time d22 or something like this. Some guys tried to mount the sd card reader into a cartridge an run games on a real MD. The rest of the gamepad was a MD on a chip.

God…that IS horrible. Sonic Mega Collection Plus ain’t got nothing on this.

There can be the AtGames console but 2 days ago I stupidly bought a “Sega Mega 3”. It’s got stolen artwork and it also claims it’s officially licensed by Sega. Oh, god, NO! It’s just a Genesis 3 clone, without text, Sega logo or the nice text: “Produced by or Under License from Sega Enterprises Ltd.”
    OMFG, here in South America piracy has crossed the line.

leave the genesis remakes to Radica or MadCat..or something
    Someone needs to replace the @tGames sound system with the mega drive(modle 2) sound system

Hearing the horribly out of tune music from Sonic 2 made me want to puke.

Sooo my girlfriend got me one of these for Christmas. And a picture on the bottom of the box looked very very familiar… it’s the title screen for Sonic 2 HD I believe. :V Once I get the chance i’ll post a pic. Also I haven’t played it yet… I have no batteries.