Miscellaneous

Late Night Poll: Super Sonic Racing (With Shoulder Buttons)

So, we were having a little discussion in a group chat that turned into a stunning realization for a lot of people. I was wrapping up my Colors review and wanted to ask the group their opinion on a comment I’m planning on making regarding how Sonic has controlled in 3D. I brought up Sonic R and mentioned how the shoulder buttons can help you make tight turns.  Then, everybody was like, “YOU CAN DO THAT?”  Bartman and I were shocked that a majority of people in the chat didn’t know about them.  Scarred Sun asked me to put this question up here to find out how many more people didn’t know that the shoulder/flipper buttons help you turn in that clunky mess of a racing game.

If the majority answer is “no,” then we’re all about surprising realizations lately.  For example, Taxman made a comment last week regarding rolling in the classic games that came as a surprise to some Retro members and I was surprised they didn’t already know that, considering how the members of this site know the ins-and-outs of just about everything.  There’s also that whole chestnut in the classic games where holding a direction while rolling does absolutely nothing, which is why we all thought it was weird when people came to Sonic 4′s defense about them “always holding the direction anyway.”  When you realized that holding a direction while rolling did nothing, you could just let go of the D-pad.  It gives your thumbs a nice rest and you get the same result!

Anyway, answer the question and check the jump for the full chat log of the conversation.  This poll is all in good fun (like most things here), so take off your serious pants.

[12/8/2010 5:57:26 PM] Brad: I’m finishing up my Colors review. Would you guys think it’s fair to say that controlling Sonic in 3D has been a problem since Sonic R? I think so. That extra axis of control + speed just hasn’t worked.
[12/8/2010 5:57:54 PM] Bartman: Sonic 3D Blast is a…oh wait, you mean ‘3D’
[12/8/2010 5:57:55 PM] Brad: it’s a racing game with an extra axis, essentially
[12/8/2010 5:58:05 PM] Brad: so you always have to be holding forward
[12/8/2010 5:58:24 PM] Brad: which makes turning a BITCH
[12/8/2010 5:58:30 PM] Bartman: Sonic R doesn’t control the same as Sonic Adventue and onward.
[12/8/2010 5:58:43 PM] Brad: Bart, yes it does
[12/8/2010 5:58:56 PM] Brad: Sonic R has the added benefit of shoulder buttons.
[12/8/2010 5:59:00 PM] Bartman: You do hold forward 95% of the time.
[12/8/2010 5:59:01 PM] Brad: for tighter turning
[12/8/2010 5:59:11 PM] Brad: but even with shoulder buttons, it’s still clunky
[12/8/2010 5:59:14 PM] Scarred Sun: …
[12/8/2010 5:59:15 PM] Bartman: SS: I’m kind of bullshitting.
[12/8/2010 5:59:16 PM] Scarred Sun: I
[12/8/2010 5:59:18 PM] Scarred Sun: never knew
[12/8/2010 5:59:21 PM] Scarred Sun: About shoulder buttons
[12/8/2010 5:59:23 PM] Scarred Sun: in Sonic R.
[12/8/2010 5:59:24 PM] Bartman: You didn’t?
[12/8/2010 5:59:26 PM] Scarred Sun: MY WORLD IS CHANGED
[12/8/2010 5:59:28 PM] Bartman: You seriously didn’t?
[12/8/2010 5:59:37 PM] Bartman: It makes the game that much easier to play
[12/8/2010 5:59:40 PM] Bartman: Seriously.
[12/8/2010 5:59:43 PM] Brad: it’s still hard
[12/8/2010 5:59:45 PM] Bartman: Also, when you hold both of them down?
[12/8/2010 5:59:46 PM] Scarred Sun: Fuck, I’d imagine so
[12/8/2010 5:59:48 PM] Bartman: You Brake
[12/8/2010 5:59:54 PM] Bartman: Super serial, you guys.
[12/8/2010 6:00:05 PM] Cinossu: ..
[12/8/2010 6:00:08 PM] Cinossu: Bart
[12/8/2010 6:00:09 PM] David: Wait a minute you brake if you hold both
[12/8/2010 6:00:14 PM] Bartman: Yes
[12/8/2010 6:00:14 PM] Cinossu: are you serious
[12/8/2010 6:00:23 PM] Bartman: Please tell me you people are joking.
[12/8/2010 6:00:26 PM] Cinossu: I never fucking knew about the shoulder buttons either
[12/8/2010 6:00:34 PM] Bartman: Am I the only person who has mastered Sonic R?
[12/8/2010 6:00:34 PM] Brad: this is like when you guys all discovered that you can’t hold left/right when you want to roll
[12/8/2010 6:00:44 PM] Brad: in the classic games
[12/8/2010 6:00:52 PM] Brad: or that holding left/right doesn’t make you roll any faster
[12/8/2010 6:01:05 PM] Overlord: I did not know
[12/8/2010 6:01:10 PM] Overlord: About shoulder buttons
[12/8/2010 6:01:13 PM] Overlord: Holy shit
[12/8/2010 6:01:14 PM] David: I was aware of the shoulder buttons…but not the double brake. Not that I’d think it’d do much good for me but eh.
[12/8/2010 6:01:19 PM] Overlord: Sonic R has a shoulder button option?
[12/8/2010 6:01:21 PM] Bartman: Anyway, yes. Shoulder buttons
[12/8/2010 6:01:23 PM] Brad: are you guys being serious here?
[12/8/2010 6:01:27 PM] Scarred Sun: This needs to be front paged
[12/8/2010 6:01:27 PM] Brad: you didn’t know this about Sonic R?
[12/8/2010 6:01:31 PM] Overlord: No!
[12/8/2010 6:01:34 PM] Bartman: They can’t be, Brad.
[12/8/2010 6:01:34 PM] Scarred Sun: SONIC PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW BASIC SONIC GAMEPLAY
[12/8/2010 6:01:40 PM] Scarred Sun: ALERT THE TABLOIDS

I honestly think that people would actually like the game more if they knew how to drift.

I don’t remember, seeing as I haven’t played it in a long time, so I voted “No”.

I knew about this since the PC version, although on that is was

Errr that came out messed up, what I tried to say was that the keys were , and . by using their shift versions.

Wow, now I know how much the instructions booklet was ignored most of the time. I think…

knew about it from the start, game is still shit

Jeez people, no wonder so many people dislike the game if they arnt using the banking feature that make you able to actually play it properly lol

Read the effing manual that came with the game. ‘nough said.

In Fact, holding a direction when rolling does something but is almost nothing. If you are in a great speed of course it is impossible to notice but you can walk, spin and turn back to stop and forward to extend the spin a little.
    About Sonic R I’m surprised how much people didn’t know that!

Heh, I didn’t find that out until after I beat the game and was messing with the controls for the pc.

And Bartman you’re not the only one who “master’d” it ^_~

OH WOW. That many people in the chat didn’t know you could drift in Sonic R? You must be fucking kidding me. THIS IS SONIC RETRO. We kind of specialize in knowing EVERYTHING that goes on in a Sonic game. You’d think that they’d read the Sonic R page to discover this in order to make playing this clunky title more flexible. I always used shoulder buttons in order to make tighter turns to get an edge over the competition.

It became so much easier once I learned you could hold a button instead of holding forward to accelerate. I did not know about the double shoulder brake though.

I enjoyed the game… then again I did know about the shoulder buttons. Also, I find it really easy!

I knew about the shoulder buttons as well. But wow. This is a first.

Shoulder buttons are essential for Time Trials, and kicking Super Sonic butt as Metal Knuckles

I only found out about the shoulder buttons when I decided to unlock everything. Which was like 5 minutes in.

This wasn’t obvious…?

I know, right?

I only found this out on the Gems Collection version. Much easier to play with, as well. Playing it on a mates saturn meant the reading the instruction booklet wasn’t gonna happen. Never owned the PC version.

Wow, I know it since I got the game. Without drifting it would surely be a pain!! It was a fun game at 2P and being able to beat characters like Super Sonic with Metal Sonic or even Eggrobo in some races. Personally is a great game, one of the best of the Sonic spinoffs IMO. I still enjoy finishing it once again (I´ve probably played it as much as other classic Sonic games, more than 50 times for sure).

I have the lame pride of mastering that game, but I wonder if my friends know about the shoulder buttons…

I may or may not have known about this, considering that I played it on PC using a flight stick.

I voted yes because i did know about them but it took me a while to figure it out.

Another interesting fact about sonic r is that if your playing with Sonic you can spin dash at the beggining of a race before the race begins. (forgot if you can with other characters)

But yeah, I actually think Sonic r is a pretty decent game.
    Its not one of the gems of the series, but its still a very likable game to me.

I beat you all only with the shoulder buttons =D …
    with amy xD

For all those asking, when I originally purchased Sonic R for the Saturn, I bought it loose–no box, no manual.

How the hell does anyone not know about rolling in the classic games??….

…okay I figured it out when I tried doing it after playing Sonic Advance, but I know now…

Not ever having/playing R; what is the effect of pressing a single trigger? You “drift”, and after release, ‘boost’ sideways?

You can take sharper turns, so you can race a lot better in all curves. That actually saves you time, although you don´t go any faster for doing so (like in Mario Kart or S&SASR).

IGN didn’t know about the shoulder buttons in Sonic Unleashed.

I… I knew…

But not about the brake.

L and R?

I got my PC version fom Jack in The Box and It didn’t come with a book. So I never new of this feature. Still liked the game though. In hide sight that was when I felt Sonic Team could do no wrong. Shadow The Hedgehog changed all that.

I’ve known about it since sometime after it was released =|