Miscellaneous

A Speed Run Unlike Any Other

I’m sure you’re all familiar with Tool Assisted Speedruns of your favorite video games.  I’m sure you’ve also seen a speedrun and have tried to duplicate it yourself in game.  Well, thanks to a YouTube user named “Sega Atlas,” you can map out your plan of attack in a whole new way.

Taking a speedrun video from TASVideos and a level map, Sega Atlas allows you to view the level in all of its zoomed-out glory while seeing how the speedrunner cleared the level so quickly.  I know that Mr. Atlas has no control over it, but I chuckled at how the HUD moves along with Sonic.  If you’re out there, man, come on over and tell us how you made this video.  We’re highly interested.

Thanks to resident bro Commadoo for linking this video in the forums.

It doesn’t really look that hard to make. All the mapper did was sync the video with the map frame by frame. I will admit it does look cool.

I love the effect how sonic goes faster when he goes down. Never looked so noticable.

Awesome video

Now this would be interesting for all Sonic TASes

Wow, you’re right, it would look cool! I was about to argue about the 3D games but it’s near impossible to TAS a modern one these days.

I already thought a lot of this before, never knew how to make it, though (Read; To lazy to make it). Nice to see someone finally did make it. 😉

Is it just me or does Sonic jump too high in this video. Not having spent that much time with CD I’m not 100% sure, but it looked odd to me.

He abuses the physics at slopes. Theres a lot of awesome things about the original physics. If only ….. 🙂

man, i’d love to see a runthrough in this style

That was “runlike” anything I have ever seen (ouch, bad pun).

You guy’s know that the official website for Sonic 20th is up on the Japanese SEGA website? It’s good to know the whole 20th thing wasn’t a rumored game after all. Wonder what levels will be re-made in the collection. I hope they aren’t just random levels thrown together… It would be nice if the collection was re-makes of the entire games.