Site News

The Sonic Retro Refund Program: Win $15!

Hey, dudes and dudettes.  Sonic 4: Episode 1 is out on all systems today.  As many of you have experienced or heard, the physics and controls in Sonic 4: Episode 1 are pretty pathetic.  It’s like Multimedia Fusion suddenly became playable on your favorite console.  You can stop dead in mid-air, walk up walls and get stuck on any curve.  Most of us staff seem to agree that the game’s engine is solely holding back Episode 1‘s potential, so we’re going to have a little fun with it.

See this image?  It’s courtesy of Cinossu of Retro Channel fame.  Look at how much work Sonic is doing upside down.  Terminal chillocity right there.

We had such a laugh at this picture that I decided to make a contest out of it.

It’s not hard to duplicate an image like this one, so go out there and do it yourself!  I want you to find a funny place to get stuck and take a picture of it, either a screen-capture or with a digital camera/camera phone.  There are many prizes to be won!

• Simply participating earns you a spot in our special “shout-out” thread!  Get your name on the internet!
  • Finalists will be featured on the front page!  More shout-outs!
  • The top 3 will be featured in a special video starring B-B-B-B-Beatmaster Dustin Wyatt and I!
  • The #1 pick for best picture will be awarded a “refund” for purchasing Sonic 4.  That’s $15, folks!

How to submit a picture: Hop on the ol’ Twitter account and send a tweet to me with a link to your picture (@bradflick55 [your link]).  Alternatively, you can send me a PM on the Retro forums.  Please do not hack the game to get a better picture.  You can enter this contest multiple times.

Deadline: The last day to submit a picture is October 27th.

Good luck!

Hahahaha you guys are simply priceless. When I get this tonight I may have to have a crack at this! XD

Sounds good.

You guys are pure evil.

Where do I sign?

Ehh, the SW engine has better Physic, at least the latest one.

I understand the complaints. But you know. 3&K is incredibly buggy

Nope. 1, 2, 3, and S&K are awesome whereas this is half baked garbage.

Yeah. The classic series even cured world hunger.

Essentially

Dr. Robotnik’s diabolical floor traps are so diabolical that you have to reset your Genesis to get out of them.

God bless the people who wrote Sonic 3’s manual for putting that in. Crisis averted.

Uhhh yeah. Practice makes perfect.

Uh… yeah, it does – but then again, you don’t have to be bad at the game for traps to still get you offguard [especially considering how easy it is to glitch Sonic 3 alone while playing it on a Genesis/Megadrive]

I have the same problem :P, but only 2 times, and that was in the older revision, i think that they fixed in the next one

Buggy programming =/= shitty physics.

Of course, but on that token, poor programming [or rather in this case pool algorithm design] seems to be but one of many roots of the problems talked about here.

*poor, not pool*

I wouldn’t have said the version of the iPhone has buggy physics. Not in my experience at least.

The only bug I have found is the one that allows me to create similar pictures to this one. I just crouch while the physics are pulling me backwards down hill and it causes me to stop on the spot.

Ah, sperging about Sonic physics. A brilliant pastime.

Does the iPhone version count?

I didn’t make a single judgement, speculation, or comment about Sonic 4 before I played it.

I was actually very excited for this game.

It feels very broken, weird, I have no idea what they were thinking. Christ, it’s bad. I’m so sad right now.

The game has bad physics, i hope that they fix that in the next episode

I’d say the problem is the whole engine and not just the physics.

I for one enjoy playing games and don’t nitpick. ;]

But yeah you can crouch on walls. I’ll be sure to look out for funny places.

“Terminal chillocity” must be used more, by the way.

Hah, I’m glad I didn’t buy it.

^ A single screenshot can ruin the game for you? You’re weird!
    Go try the trial instead (360), it’s free! >:/

It’s not a single screenshot, the physics are fundamentally broken. Downloading the trial will just highlight that fact.

My housemate actually rang me in work to tell me how bad it was, he was that dismayed by it. I thought someone had died.

They’re just different, that’s all. You can still pull off loop jumps and such, and that’s what I wanted.
      Apart from this slope thing; that’s just awful. 😛

I can’t wait to see the results. I can’t anything funnier than this picture, but I hope others do.
      Peace!!

I’m totally entering this.

….so….Retro is disappoint? That’s odd, you all seemed pretty happy with Sonic 4 yesterday.

Retro is not disappoint, people are. Both staff members and regular members alike have mixed opinions about Sonic 4; there is no universal consensus. This has been the case for pretty much any Sonic game ever released.

NONE OF YOU ARE TRUE SONIC FANS.

/s (?)

you should know by now that “true” sonic fans hate every single game

I love this game to death, and why the lot of you hate it I shall never understand.

… reading comprehension would lead you to the reasons outlined – not all of which I necessarily agree with, but I think there are some legitimate ones.

The most apt comparison I could think of while playing the demo was Sonic Blast. Its very zoomed in, stiff in places it shouldn’t be, and jumping feels awkward. To anyone who hasn’t tried it yet, spindash off a ledge and marvel at how Sonic will literally curve mid-air and plummet downwards. I hope there aren’t many bottomless pits later on because it seems they may have finally found a way to aim you directly into them.

I can only imagine how this would have played if they didn’t spend a few months retooling it.

Ugh…… I swear all Sonic Retro does is nitpick. I tired really really hard to emulate whats shown in that screenshot, and I couldn’t make it happen. The physics are not perfect, but it is not nearly as bad as Sonic Retro makes it out to be. I feel like this site is ran by a 7 year old sometimes because of how annoying some of the post are. Now you know why I hangout at TSS way more often.

No bucket of cute fluffy kittens?

:'(

I’ll be honest, I downloaded the Trial before I decided to buy.  And I’m glad I did so.  I had such high hopes and am a strong Sonic follower like many members here, but I gave it a chance as it was new.  But from what I’ve seen and heard already (and from the trial level I played), it’s trying way too hard to be classic.  The cool thing about the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis games, were they were new and fresh to the system.  They provided something that the other games on the system couldn’t.  Nintendo had Mario, and nothing could beat the franchise.  I felt that Sonic was the one that truly killed Nintendo (and Mario) for a while there.  But from Sonic & Knuckles, it just slowly faded.

Sonic 4 to me is Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic 3D Blast, or even Sonic Advance if you want to go that far.  And nothing will beat the originals.  If Sega wants to make a comeback, and focus on SPEED, then they need to do this for Episode 2.  Sonic 1, 2, 3, and K basically showed us what 16-bit gaming could do and challenge technical constraints.  The Xbox 360, PSN, iOS, Wii have LITTLE technical constraints compared to the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive.  The only thing they gave us?  Acceleration?!  Rotating a screen?  I mean, the music is just awful because they mixed this terrible synthesizer with the 16-bit drumkit from the previous games.  Bad idea altogether.  Take the franchise and go fresh with it.  Make it like New Super Mario Bros, where they actually took old elements, and made it better, not worse.  I feel like I have to do more work to control Sonic than to actually enjoy playing the game.  I mean, don’t get me wrong, the game is beautiful visually, but everything else just irks me in the worst way possible.  By titling and calling this product “Sonic the Hedgehog 4” is just terrible.  It’s all marketing, and that’s all SEGA cares about anymore: Profits.  We want quality games SEGA.  QUALITY.  Sonic is not just about Speed or nostalgia; it’s about physics.  It was a technologically advanced series, that is now down the shi++er.

tldr; SEGA = AGES spelled backwards, and this is the direction they’re going and it’s just awful.  They need to innovate using history, not tamper with it.

Although some parts are kinda questionable in your argument, I agree with most of it.

What the ****? I will certianly not participate. Sonic 4 was damn good. I don’t care about those “physics” nerds. I have played the original Sonics, yes. And SEGA should be proud of themselves. A true Sonic fan wouldn’t complain about the physics, or anything at that. Whoever wants to return this game is a *******. At least, though, Sonic Colors will be MUCH more positive.

“A true Sonic fan wouldn’t complain about the physics, or anything at that. ”

That’s called fanboyism – blindly accepting ANYTHING without question due to a blind loytalty to a brand or series. A true fan likes and dislikes whatever he or she likes and is still a fan.

[seriously, not a true fan because he or she doesn’t like Sonic 4, what kind of braindead logic is that?]

I don’t see how people can LIKE this and call themselves true Sonic fans, lol. It takes everything good about Sonic, shits on it, and then paints it blue.

There is no such thing as a “true Sonic fan”. Everyone has their own tastes and wants in Sonic games. SEGA can’t please everyone, can they?
          No. They can’t. But they try. And if they can crank out a game like this then it shows that they are TRYING to listen to the fans. It’s really fun, and just because it has the title “Sonic 4” doesn’t mean that is has to use the EXACT same physics Sonic 3 had. I mean, look at Sonic 1. It’s physics are completely terrible.

I was mostly kidding with the “true fan” crack. Sonic 4 doesn’t have to have the SAME physics, but I expected GOOD or at least FUN physics. Whether this game is exactly like the classics or not is not my issue – my issue is that this game is not fun to play. At all.

Ahh, I see, its because you didn’t think it was fun. Welp, like I said, can’t please ’em all.

Sonic Retro: Keeping it classy. Nice going, Slingerland. You truly are second to SEGA.

Alright, so here is why the game is being called bad by Retro and the retro gamers. The game is not what Sega claimed it would be. We get to bash it for that fact alone. Blame Sega for that. Second, the physics are atrocious. I mean, once you get going, it’s good, but to get going fast takes so long, and the fun stuff from the classics (The ability to roll into a ball to go faster) is completely gone. It’s not a bad game, it’s decent in my honest opinion. I’m still gonna bash it for two reasons though. It’s NOT what Sonic 4 is, nor will it ever be that. And it’s got the clunky physics going on.

“It’s NOT what Sonic 4 is…”
      Alas, it is what Sonic 4 is. SEGA made the game, and this is their final product. Live with it.
      Don’t go calling me a fanboy though; I dreadfully hate some games. But in my opinion, Sonic 4 is some of SEGA’s best work.

If this is “SEGA’s best work,” you have incredibly low standards.

Not low standards, I just thought it was very fun and challenging, just like the original trilogy. If it can accomplish that, it’s good enough to be called Sonic 4 in my mind.
          …I mean, true, I loved ’06, but…>_>
          Black Knight was a train wreck.

What?

Red Flags started going up when I saw the stages, enemies, and bosses being rehashes…

What does dr. R consider his best creation if they’ve ALL CONSISTENTLY failed?….

So, I guess with episode 2, he finds a brain and says “Maybe using old creations wasn’t the way to go.”

Idiot… And, I know, it’s SEGA trying to make the game too classic, which made it fail, because they don’t know how to draw the line between a little nod to the classic and a full blown update….

No one wants their games divided up when they don’t need to be…. Not cool.

This title doesn’t even deserve it’s own name.

I will agree with you there, I wasn’t too fond of the idea that a lot of the game consisted of rehashed ideas. What bothered me the most was the boss battles. There wasn’t a single one of them I haven’t seen before. Sure, they had some added extra twist, but I’d much rather of seen a completely different type of battle that has never been seen before.

Then what was the Lost Labyrinth boss from, and the second half of Mad Gear? If they are remakes of old Sonics I feel really bad at not recognizing them

Lost Labyrinth Zone Boss is the Labyrinth Zone boss from Sonic 1.. I haven’t seen all the bosses (just goes to show how much I care about this piece of garbage) but, youtube would go a long way……
          And, after watching Mad Gear…
          It’s Metropolis Zone…. Nothing new, just some added attack technique…
          If you’re going to add one technique, why not just re-do the entire boss for goodness sakes…

BTW, the Sonic 1 GHZ boss, and Metropolis Zone boss got re-runs in the later half of Sonic 3 (aka sonic & knuckles)
          Although, those are welcomed repeats… But, not welcomed in Sonic 4.

In Sonic 3, it was done towards the end of the game, and a cameo of sorts.. Here’s it’s done out of SEGA’s desperation.

But, yeah, as it would appear, the Bosses are re-hashed from the same based stages. Green Hill Re-hash = GH boss rehash, and so-fourth.

Making sure I’ll not buy this one.

I don’t have as big a problem with the physics as I do with the length of the game. It just doesn’t seem long enough to be worth $15. I’ve been to the final boss and have two chaos emeralds from no more than 3 hours of play.

This is a true sonic fan who played this game (Pirated on wii lol) and all I can say is that It’s POORLY EXECUTED. The Physics, Oh God the physics are like Sonic 16-bit physics on dope and dumped in shit, mixed with what we always known as the Sonic Rush Engine, by DIMPS. Removing Momentum and Pinball Physics ruins the nature of Sonic, and it’s just not the same. It’s slowwww as and sluggish, and plus there is many bottomless pits where you meant to ‘spam’ the homming attack on the badniks. This game, although back to it’s roots, looks like a rushed fan-game made in Flash as stated by many. I mean, it isn’t that horrible but it comes pretty close to being trash. Though they were on the right track, this isn’t truly Sonic 4 as I imagined it, and well it sucks after I played it. If they made this game like Megaman 9 and back to it’s former 16-bit glory, that would please alot of fans but eh whatever. If not they should try to upgrade the graphics to be less eye-gorging, using less shaders, more details and better sounds (Hint Hint YM2612 Chip-sounds /Hint) in Ep 2 and find an excuse to use the Sonic Classic Models. But that said, I’m looking forward to Colors more than Sonic 4.

>True Sonic Fan
      >Pirated on Wii

….yeah, care to rephrase that?

P.S. Pelican PWNS DIMPS x100 times!

P.S.S (Fan-tard) No offense to DIMPS, but I liked some improvements (Like the Final Boss animations etc) and I wish that they just improve the physics, the art, the designs and more original and familiar gimmicks. (/Fan-tard)

Now that’s what i’m talking about. Man how much I love yyou brad

I love you all. <3

This is Sonic Retro, as I truly imagined it.

Sincerely,
    The Netherlands, where we also hate the physics. 😉

Keep it classy, Netherlands.

I for one do enjoy Sonic 4 and find it fun. Still, it can’t be denied that there are still fundamental problems at its core and those need addressing going into Episode 2. It’s pretty much the one key thing holding this from being a great game instead of a just okay one.

Actually, I played this game again and it really grew on me! It had that Genesis feeling, and it was pretty damn great! I apologize for my negative rants towards Dimps, Sega and Sonic Team but I could see now they have made a well-done job on this game! I can’t wait for episode 2 to come out, and I’ll def buy it on wii and never pirate again.

[…] Okay, check out the Wired 4/10 review here and the Strategy Informer 4/10 review here. The Joystiq review can be found: here.  Also, the guys at SEGA Retro have decided to hold a refund contest for title in attempt to satirically mimic SEGA’s multiple purchase reward. Check that out here. […]

I don’t know if I’ve ever posted, but I just had to this time.

Why is it so hard for DIMPS to understand one simple rule of physics (and, ironically, the one that made the classic Sonic’s physics most different from say, Mario’s physics):
    Without an opposing force there will be no deceleration.

That is one of the most glaring problems with Sonic Rush (and by extension Sonic 4 of course). Letting go of left or right at any time makes you almost instantaneously decelerate, even if you’re in the air, where there shouldn’t be any friction. And obviously, this completely ruins the benefit of spin-dashing off of a ledge or similar. Hell, even most Multimedia Fusion Sonic games don’t have that problem.

To be honest, I pirated the iphone one to see if it was any good. It was actually fun, it took a good 2 hours to beat it, and the final boss was well executed. However, all the rehashing, bad slope and wall physics, jump freeze and shortness of the game made my not one to rebuy it on my xbox. I will still boot up my s3&k every now and then for a good few hours of fun, whereas I most likely won’t touch that app again.

I think the problem we have, is that they tried too hard to make it the like the classics, causing us to be disappointed. If they removed the rehashing, and added originality, made it actual orchestrated music, and fixed the jump freeze/loop detection/slope physics we will have, not just a good game, but a great game. Only then will I spend $15.

Funny, I took a picture of the physics failure just for the heck of it, but now there’s a reason to have this fail of a pic.

I don’t think this qualifies cuz he’s not lying down, but I went ahead and put a link to a picture I just took up if you click my name thing.

and yes he’s crouching I even have video proof

This is Sonic 4 as you truly imagined it.

um……
    i’d like to enter, but what should i do if i don’t have/want a twitter account, and can’t send pm’s =/

You’re shit out of luck until you either make a Twitter, or join the forums. xP I’d like to enter, but I can’t get the damn game to emulate. >.>

Yeah, that’s what I thought, oh well, no harm in asking I guess, oh and I joined, just a pending member can’t pm

[…] it’s short, has physics dodgier than a fascist Pope (just ask the Sonic Retro contingent), is unoriginal and very easy; yet its classic charms, intense speed, challenging […]

Nice to see you on Twitter

[…] TEhMAn92: Yeah, that's what I thought, oh well, no harm in a… […]

[…] TEhMAn92: Yeah, that's what I thought, oh well, no harm in a… […]

I like how they copied and pasted three rings everywhere

Simply; is good, but need pollish and variety on levels. At least, SEGA must know what they need to fix for a true-classic gameplay. I would purchase it, when I get my Xbox360.

The only thing I disagree a lot is the price. Isn’t expensive, but isn’t really cheap for that game.

[…] The Sonic Retro Refund Program ends this Wednesday.  Don’t miss out on $15.  Send me a tweet or a private message on the forums for your chance to win.  [Sonic Retro Refund Program] […]