Fan Works

“Sonic Fan Remix” Releases Video, Has Physics

Remember that 2.5D, unnamed, Unity-based project we’ve showcased a few times? Well, it has a name… and a video.

Sonic Fan Remix by pelikan13 and Mercury, the creator of the Sonic Physics Guide (your one stop shop for accurate Sonic physics), is a 2.5D re-imagining of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. The video above is a playthrough of the first act of Emerald Hill Zone. I’ll let the video speak for itself.

holy shit that’s awesome.

My eyes were like this O_O the whole time, but in a good way.

Awww man, that was intense.
    I love the way the badniks just… break.

This will be better than Sonic 4.

^^ Well yeah, it’s sonic 2.

This is truly Sonic 2 HD as you imagined it.

See what you get done when you don’t make your awesome game a community project?

I think there’s still too much going on which detracts from the actual gameplay though. It is still very pretty though >.<

This is Sonic 4 as we truly imagined it xDDDD

Holy crap! That looks amazing!

It looks pretty cool but kind of cluttered and a bit… sickly :S I laugh that there are only 2 people working on this and they have managed more than the entire Sonic 2 HD project has with loads of people working on.

the more people you add to a project, the more chaos ensues

Tremendous!

I’d love to have seen the homing attack and super peel out included. But it’s tremendous, an excellent example of what a fangame can do.

The homing attack AND the super-peelout?

In MY Sonic 2 remix?

Hell no.

At least include some extra stages and stuff otherwise it’s just sonic 2 with (albiet stunning) new graphics.

I want those two geniuses to do whatever the hell they want. If they want new stages, go for it. If they want a frame for frame HD sonic 2, go for it. I’d personally prefer Sonic 3 and Knuckles in 2.5D because that is my favorite videogame of all time, but what I want doesn’t matter. The fact is these two are working their asses off for no monetary gain, and they are creating something beautiful. Let ’em do what they want, because what they want is awesome.

I’d gladly pay 15 bucks for a S2 update with mind-blowing graphics and perfect physics before I’d spend the same amount on a cheap looking 4 level “sequel” with laughable physics and a host of other disappointments.

Not necessarily yours 😛 (Also, that one hack with the homing attack in Sonic 2 was pretty cool)

Honestly, what’s wrong with Peel Out and Homing Attack? I mean, if you’re a purist, I get that, but tbh I like the jump dash because I get horizontal in my air and can avoid trouble underneath me at a moments notice (read: spikes)

Ah, fair enough. How old was that comment? I just finished playing Sonic 4 and loving it. It wasn’t perfect, but the homing attack and the air dashes were not the major sources of its problems.

Looks awsome, although I feel a bit let down in some ways that they are remaking Sonic 2 rather than doing something origanal. Maybe for the next one?

Too bad the video doesn’t seem to work for me. It’s literally just this video. I’ve even tried downloading it.

Problem. The video WON’T play for me. AT ALL.

This is a very sad state of affairs… because the said video will blow your mind

So, because the graphics happen to look superb and it has accurate physics, regardless that IT’S THE EXACT SAME FIRST LEVEL OF SONIC 2, you guys still think it’s better than Sonic 4? This is basically just a prettier Sonic 2 right now, and if I want Sonic 2 I’ll go play Sonic 2. :/That said, at least the physics are okay.

Well, let me use some logix on you.
      Premise 1: Sonic 2 is better than Sonic 4. Most people will probably agree.

Premise 2: Sonic 2 with High Def graphics is better than Sonic 2. This is debatable, and definitely an opinion question. I personally aesthetically like S2HD’s graphics better than the fan remix one, but both are cool. And then 16 bit will just never live up to 2.5D for lots of sonic fans

Logical Conclusion assuming Premise 1 and 2 are true: Sonic Fan Remix is > Sonic 4.

Now, clearly this is up to debate due to the premises being based on opinions rather than facts. But the logical syllogisms hold true. Logix Wins

Your explanation makes sense, and it is true that it’s debatable. However, just because it’s Sonic 2 doesn’t mean something will be able to out-do it. 😛

I’d prefer beautifully updated old content that IS done well to brand new content that isn’t any day.

Yea, let’s wait some more to see how long it takes for you to get bored of the same game just “updated” or “ported”.
        Personally, I am sick of it!
        Instead of Sonic 2 2.5D make something new! Please!

If I still enjoy playing the original, I’m not likely to quickly tire of a remake.

Dude, you can ask just about anyone and they’ll tell you that Sonic 2 is superior to Sonic 4.

I’m kinda dissapointed it’s not original. But they sure accomplished ALOT!

Hah, this looks better than Sonic 2 HD and with only 2 people working on it…

Oh, God, it’s so beautiful it makes me want to cry! *a single teardrop*

That has got to be the single greatest Sonic thing I have seen all year!

PLEASE CONTINUE WITH THIS. I love this concept and it’s really a fantastic creation.

now THAT, is how you give the middle finger to Sega/Sonic Team.

Don’t worry. They won’t ever care.

…SEGA’s the one who made Sonic 2 in the first place, so every concept in that video is technically SEGA’s…

All those guys did was just build their own physics that replicate that of Sonic 2 and use 3D models and Graphics to make it look brand new. o.o

I mean, sure it’s impressive that they did that, but I don’t really see how that’s fingering SEGA, to be quite honest.

“but I don’t really see how that’s fingering SEGA”

Ahem. Careful how you say that. Also, it’s giving the finger to SEGA in that 2 guys just made a game better than Sonic 4. All on their own. Even if it’s just Sonic 2 but prettier. Just remember that this is built from the ground up, and isn’t running on any specific game’s engine, just like Sonic 4.

O.O

dude…..

wow……

What about the lost stages that were never released, and the time travel? Will that make it?
    Forget what everyone says about the clutter, clutter or not, it still looks awesome.

Wow. Forget Sonic 4. I’m excited about this shit.

I honestly teared up a little at this. Please continue and finish this. Don’t simply tease us for years and years. I will eagerly await this. Thanks.

Sonic 2 HD just became….  inferior.

Done more in how long? And how long has Sonic 2 HD been around for now? Too many cooks is the problem with the HD project.

it looks great, but dont let this stop you from doing Sonic 2 HD, hand drawn stuff has plenty of charm to stand alone, plus I doubt my computer could play this version….

[…] a hilarious turn of events, Yuji Naka re-tweeted a fan’s post, which said that “Sonic Fan Remix” was “256 times better than Sonic 4.”  This, after a week of interviewing about […]

Forget what all the nay-sayers are spitting out their collective arses.  This is a good project, and I LOVE sonic 2.  Keep  up the good work.  😀

love the look of this i hope you continue and release this looks awesome

This is a jaw-dropping project, with tremendous potential. Everything is gorgeous in attention to detail, even if still in dev-stages; the models+textures & animations, background music, code execution and overall presentation of this demo is really great. 🙂 Although this project will never live up to the awesome that is Sonic 2 for MegaDrive (debatable, but only upon pending(?) release of Sonic Fan Remix), it’s definitely something that many fans of this series would love to play, and furthermore, something i’m sure would give great satisfaction to both developers and players alike.

[…] Sonic Stadium]In a hilarious turn of events, Yuji Naka re-tweeted a fan’s post, which said that “Sonic Fan Remix” was “256 times better than Sonic 4.”  This, after a week of interviewing about launching a […]