Fan Works

Sonic Fan Remix Available For Download

Download Sonic Fan Remix HERE! (Rapidshare removed it) | Mirror 1 | Mirror 2

After weeks of screenshots and videos, you can stop salivating. Sonic Fan Remix is here.

Sonic Fan Remix is a 2.5D game by Pelikan13 and Mercury, creator of the “Sonic Physics Guide.” In this three level demo, you get to experience a re-imagined Emerald Hill Zone. Act 1 and 3’s layouts will seem familiar, but Act 2 is entirely original. What’s also unfamiliar is the crazy amount of detail put into this project. From the water/rain effects to the game’s lighting, this is truly Emerald Hill as you haven’t imagined it.

A welcome addition to 2.5D Sonic are the original physics that made Sonic a hit in the first place. There are even a few adjustments to suit Mercury’s tastes.

About the whole “rolling off a cliff onto a badnik rebound height” thing:

I didn’t really like the way classic Sonic physics handled this. If holding the jump button is what makes Sonic rebound, then that should happen in all cases. I don’t like the fact that in some cases the player has no ability to cut the rebound short by releasing the button. There’s no homing attack or anything, so you can just hold the button down as you hit the enemy to rebound.

In other words, the change was intentional.

A second intentional change is that Sonic can control the trajectory of his jumps even if he jumps while rolling. Sonic CD is the only one of the classics to do this, and I find it vastly superior. In fact, I can’t imagine why the other way was ever used – what’s the logic behind it?

Some of the physics inconsistencies aren’t intentional, though. Unity can be a pain sometimes, and I wasn’t able to make everything as accurate as I’d have liked. (For instance, the camera isn’t accurate to the classics yet.)

I, along with many other members of the community, have been beta testing this game for a few days and we’ve caught a few of the issues lingering in the demo. Pelikan has released this project a bit ahead of schedule and has yet to correct everything that we’ve given back to him. If you find an issue with the project, don’t hesitate to air it. It will only make a great project even better.

I’m sure that this demo will be all over Destructoid tomorrow. They love the shit out this project (5:11 mark).

Visit the Sonic Fan Remix website.

Don’t forget to check out the official website for the project: http://sonicfanremix.com

Just pointing out this game’s getting pretty well covered… I’ve seen a thread about it on /v/ of all places!

[…] De tempos em tempos acessamos o site Sonic Retro para mais notícias, e eis que hoje lá estava: http://www.sonicretro.org/2010/10/sonic-fan-remix-available-for-download/#more-1385 […]

How can i play it? What kind of emulator can i use? Does it work on my mac? Thanks.

Mac will only run app (mac executable), while this is a exe file for windows.

Anyone wants an alternative link here it is: http://www.filedropper.com/sfrdemo

I really need to get a new graphics card.

This is amazing. This is sonic game I was waiting for.

[…] to Sonic Retro for the headsup, and, as you guys noticed, Destructoid was all over it in no time […]

*Droools*

[…] Zone, disponível nesse demo, e também a primeira da Green Hill Zone. O download pode ser feito no tópico de divulgação original do site. Palavras não descrevem o tanto que o jogo é bonito, apenas baixem e joguem, mas já aviso que […]

Just wanted to say, Fantastic job to Pelikan13 and Mercury, welldone guys, impressive effort.. I look forward to seeing what else you can pull off. Willing to support this 100%.

I hope my HD 5770 can handle this piece of art. Good work, I’m downloading.

Oh my god. It finally happened. MUST GET.

Who else agrees that even just the short videos of this made it look vastly superior to Sonic 4 in every way, shape, and form?

Can’t say I really care for it. I mean, it plays all right, but there’s far too much going on visually level design wise.

Well, I enjoyed it, its very good. Algo, I can run it a 1080p at full settings without any problems, so I can say SFR is good optimized.

Amazing, wondeful, superb, great, marvelous… Sega please, look and learn. This is the real sonic 4. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I wnat the entire game.

A remake of an old level is the real Sonic 4?

Oh wait

I DOWNLOAD IT ITS JUST LIKE SONIC 4

It better farking not be.

I can’t download it ! :'(

And that´s what happens when you have two great people who know what they are doing and really care about what they do. This is AWESOME!! Both in graphics and in physics. I recommend everyone to try Fastest/Fantastic, as I personally enjoyed more the Fastest setting. If you can´t download it, use the mirror!!

“The file has been removed from the server due of infringement of the copyright-laws.”
    >.>

Sadly for me, the mirror takes forever to DL. Also, god damn Rapidshare.

I am the admin of The Spriter’s Zone, and I am offering to host the game for download.

Wow, Sonic Fan Remix it’s made of PURE WIN. I love this demo.

BTW, other mirror:

Finally! I was going nut’s waiting for a demo.

Fantastic. Congratulations it’s great

Free and full speed link here http://www.thespriterszone.com
    I just want to share the feeling when you play this fan made demo, pure nolstagic!I’m starting to hate the sega guys for closing the links. The guys who made the fan remix just did it for the name of art and not for name of money,so …

Really? guess they don’t like a fact that a fan game’s more popular then most of there games.

*Droools more* I cant stop playing the demo,the detail,thought and effort that has gone in to this is breath taking to any one i have shown this today, I also support this game 120% ,btw been able to run this on a good amount of computers,really surprised how well it run even on old hardware 😀 *thumbs up* keep up the awesome work

No such thing as 120% because 100% is full (whole) How can you eat 120% cake when 100% is eaten?? You figure that out and ure a genius 😉

anyway lol it runs fine on a GTX285

Found a glitch to a insta death. Don’t worry about it, it’s a demo.

Speaking of glitches, at the end of Act 3 when u run back to the last loop, sonic cannot run past it but he can spindash through it.. And the springs have different variation in height but all = the same color..

This is truly epic. PLEASE do more levels, I will HAPPILY pay for this over Sonic 4 any day of the week. Sonic nostalgia as it’s supposed to be!

here is another mirror from mediafire 🙂

Ugh, no. This is in a near unplayable state for me. Even on fastest and lowest resolution possible WINDOWED, it lags like hell and button input takes about one-two seconds to register. I really, REALLY don’t like this so far. PLEASE, tone down the graphics.

Computer needs upgrading 🙂 What graphics card are you using??

I fixed it, I fixed it. The problem was it needed to be on fullscreen to run at full speed, which is weird. But I still highly suggest toning down the graphical toll this needs, as I want to be able to play this at optimal resolution(1440×900).

This looks fucking sexy

Mac version??? I heard there would be a mac version! Wheres the mac version! ARGH I need to play this!!

*becomes violent*

This is great!

Besides the busy backgrounds, I would prefer if Sonic’s eyes were black and the return of the original Sonic design remained (ie. The Felix the Cat look). Other than that, this beats the shit out of Sonic 4, with his extra lanky legs and his horribly stiff breaking.

Remember, black pupils, not green!

Let me just say I like Sonic 4. But this game is pretty good. I understand why Sonic retains his old look since this is a tribute to the old games. This game isn’t as great as Sonic 4, but comes very close (even for a fan game). One thing this game definitely has over Sega is the detailed graphics.

im really impressed. this was made by 2 people and looks graphically superior. i’d give you guys 20 bux instead of paying Sega for their game.

Fantastic job guys. If I had the VC I’d hire you both on the spot and let you two give Sonic Team and Dimps a run for their money (assuming SEGA doesn’t mercilessly shut you down for accompling what they’ve failed to do for half a decade)…

I tried downloading the provided links but dont get unzipped file at all, just a “rar” file that can not be unzipped. Am I doing something wrong or did jealous Sega have them take down the files?

Please contact me at [email protected] if you can help. Thank you.

Will this work in ubuntu?

Unfortunately I think the unity guys don’t have any plans yet to release unity for GNU/Linux..

There was some news of maybe Novell porting the Unity player, but I haven’t heard anything since..

Well done! very well done.

I just want to let you guys know as a true Sonic fan I think that what you guys have done is absolutely amazing and that the game rocks. Please keep up the good work, I’ve been following this project for what seems like 2 years now and you guys did not disappoint!

While Sonic 4 is good, but not great, this outclasses it in every way: from physics (I’m getting tired of hearing that word) to the graphics, music (Sonic 4’s music isn’t bad or good…it’s decent). Aside from the Emerald Hill remake, the style of graphics is what Sonic 4 should have achieved.

Sega needs to create a new western division that is solely devoted to creating Sonic games and/or properly handling their old franchise from the Genesis days.

Hmmm… I think, badnik of act 1 must be in Death Egg, or not?

Thank you so much for this. As someone who played Sonic back in the day, as a child, this really made my night. Its fucking fantastic and you guys should be proud. Sega needs to hire you.

[…] Emerald Hill Zone. Sonic Fan Remix, come avrete intuito, è il progetto cui si faceva cenno. Potete scaricare la demo da questo indirizzo, dopodiché è consigliabile scompattarla, lanciarla, passarle attraverso con freccina destra e […]

[…] can download the PC demo from the links on Sonic Retro (via […]

[…] on how you look at it) of some of Sonic’s best stages. At the minute its just a free demo (Download it here) but who’s to know what the future has in […]

I can’t get it to work, I press start and it won’t leave the main screen, any ideas? I am blatantly an idiot but can’t figure it out

Go to tab where you change the buttons. Change start to whatever button you want, even if you want it to be “enter”. Just press it there.

[…] but this bad boy was conjured up by a development team of just two people. If you want, you can download that sweet thing and play it on your PC. Apparently it's a bit CPU intensive, but you'll have to […]

So I downloaded your demo, and I had also purchased Sonic 4 off of PSN. I’ve gotta say that you guys need to pat yourselves on the back. You’ve got a game that outshines Sonic 4 both visually and physics wise. Great job guys. There was one issue I noticed however. I was running the game at 1600×900 at full specs without being windowed. There seems to be the lack of the ability to quit the game to your desktop if you’re not running the game windowed. Aside from that though, I couldn’t see any issues, and I look forward to playing the full version when released. I can only wish that Sega take notice and remake Sonic CD (my favorite) in all it’s former glory with the glory you guys have put into this demo.

I just wanted to let you know that I love this. I think you did a really good job. It’s what I wanted Sonic 4 to be. The physics are perfect, even if there’s no homing attack. I don’t care. Sonic 1-3 didn’t have a homing attack, so I don’t mind. The graphics are absolutely amazing, and sonic looks great. The game looks and feels like the Sonic game I’ve been dreaming of.

Keep going, and don’t let other people’s bad comments get you down.

[…] you’d like to check out the trial for yourself you can get download links from this website. Just be aware, you will need a fairly beefy PC to run it smoothly. I’ll leave you folks with […]

Pressing ‘start’ (‘enter’ according to the input menu) at the title screen just doesn’t work.I had to reconfigure it to ‘return’. I thought they were the same, apparently not.

[…] ainda sim é um trabalho muito bem feito por uma equipe muito pequena, você pode baixar o game pelo Sonic Retro e tirar suas próprias conclusões sobre o game. Não se esqueça de comentar aqui o que achou do […]

[…] abaixoVocê gostou do jogo, e quer jogar também? Você pode baixar gratuitamente, Sonic Fan Remix.Via: Kotaku e Techeblog Tweet //LinkWithinCodeStart var linkwithin_site_id = 289906; var […]

[…] oggi è uscita la versione giocabile, da completare in futuro, che potete scaricare da questo link: download (Sonic […]

Guess what? Many of the Spanish sites -MeriStation, Vidaextra, etc.- praise the game over Sonic 4.
    Just a info, an evidence how good is this game.

It runs even in my old Sempron 3000+ (1,8ghz) and a cheap geforce 210 card 😛

[…] gustó? ¡Pues bájenlo gratis de su sitio oficial, antes de que Sega haga algo al respecto! A decir verdad, sí nos gustaría que hicieran algo: […]

And about Mac version?

Awesome game! CongratZ!

while I dont hate Sonic 4, I dont think the creators took it very seriously, I think they thought, oh this is nothing just make a 2d game and shut these fans up and then sell our main game to a new audience, and the fans now exactly how the physics work, I like both games but sega could learn a thing or two from these guys

Download:

Trying not to make this too long…as a kid I went with Genesis first and Sonic. I’ve gone through those games more times then I can count (and still go through them every now and then). When I heard they were making Sonic 4 I was really excited, waiting for it to be available for d/l, and started playing. It was…honestly really depressing. The platforming was wrong, the music lackluster, enemy placement horrible…it just didn’t feel like Sonic in any way to me at all.

Before even playing the demo and watching this video I could tell, this was made by people who know what made Sonic good. For that alone I thank you. Still a ways to go, but the spirit is there. Great job.

I LOVE YOU !!!!!

[…] Podéis descargar la demo para probarla a través de Sonic Retro. […]

[…] 6px; border: 1px solid #5a7f97; font-weight: bold; } A pair of Sonic fans just released a demo for their HD Sonic game that has 2 re-imagined levels and an original one. Stuffing A Wii Remote […]

Which are the system requirements?

[…] Descargar Sonic Fan Remix  / Mirror 1 […]

[…] Descargar Sonic Fan Remix  / Mirror 1 […]

Incredible work is perfect.
    Never played a sonic so good and the old way.
    Congratulations to the developers.
    I thought sonic 4 good …
    This surely is the best.

[…] Gracias a Sonic Retro, podéis descargaros la demo desde cualquiera de estos 2 links que pongo a continuación: Link1 […]

[…] Fuente: Sonic Fan Remix […]

Oh… my… goodness, I’m FLOORED.

GREAT JOB, guys! Holy cow, this is awesome…! The backgrounds, the weather… the sharp GFX… details, indeed!

Keep working it out! You know what needs doing…. Seriously, this is top-tier stuff! You’re all going to get snatched up…!

Hello congratulations on this beautiful remake of Sonic the Hedgehog game would like to congratulate you guys suggest besides checking this site and a rock band that makes music mostly remakes of Mega Drive games

Needs to be ported to wii or ps3 via jailbreak.

Computer+platformers = make me vomit.

It’s awesome and all but on my PC that’s only a little younger than I am, it doesn’t work. The screen is compleately magenta. I need to upgrade my PC. :>

All in all though, sick work and I can’t wait for more (and for a boss stage!)

I really thought you were all ridiculous for bitching about Sonic 4 not being perfect.

Now I’m pissed off at Sega for not making this. And I actually liked S4.

PS: Any plans for a Linux version?

This > Sonic 4
    Sega…take note of this

excelent ! great game ! sonic is live !

What are the controls for the game?

Oh, man! U’ve played this demo and IS PERFECT!!!
    It would be even great if this game would be intended to be a crossover from Sonic 1 to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. That would be too ambitious, but it will be the perfect Sonic game… a Sonic game that Sega could never make… EVER! :3

This game are going great, more levels need to be done to make is batter…

I registered on here to confirm that I have gotten Sonic Fan Remix to run under WINE 1.3 without issue on it’s fantastic graphics quality settings in full screen on my monitor’s 2048 X 1536 resolution. The only things you have to do is set the compatibility to Windows XP, disable mmdevapi and set the audio to emulation. Because of the game’s compatibility with WINE, it is therefore playable under Linux.

I don’t know why people continue to compare this to Sonic 4. They are entirely different games, made by entirely different people for entirely different purposes.

We should compare this to S2HD. So, I’ll start:

Wow, in the 6 months or so we’ve known about this you’ve already pretty much surpassed the years going progress of S2HD! Congratz!

Totally with you on that one, this is an example of what can be done when you don’t spend 3 months arguing over the style of a 2D pine tree!

[…] those who want to try out the demo, try it here. Remember, even though there are bugs or things wrong with the game, there is only a small team […]

[…] демо-версию можно на этой […]

NICE< Great, Awesome
    Just one thing,
    When will the full project released??

[…] Descargar Sonic Fan Remix / Mirror 1 « Descargar VLC para iPhone. La aplicación de iOS se vuelve universal […]

I tried it and i love it!!!!! I have the dream of  this day

Incredible! as it is a true Sonic on the Megadrive, for pity again, made an entire game! This is the game that everyone would expect. It’s great! If you need paypal donation, do not hesitate. Everything is almost perfect, just the added power up and made new level, I believe that any Sonic fans are behind you! Thank you to revive Sonic, your work is excellent!

Sonic Fan remix > Sonic 4

This looks absolutely awesome! from the weather effects to the interactive backgrounds…. I’ve just reviewed Sonic 4 – Episode 1 for my site and I was totally disappointed with what Sega have done to it. This seems miles better than that rubbish Sega have released.

So now looking at this fan-made version of Sonic I have to wonder, what kind of idiots are working at Sega for them to be outclassed by fans? I think maybe this is why Sega are slowly becoming obsolete!

I think this game is best when it’s creating those original levels like Emerald Hill Act 2 from the demo.  More levels like that please ! Less Remix, more Original !

It seems like such a waste to use this perfect recreation of the old physics to just remake an old game we all own several times over already. :C

Hi, brilliant job.

Here’s an extra hotfile mirror link :

I was wondering : isn’t therea risk that SEGA may come after this fan game ?

[…] Que los juegos de Sonic ya no son lo que eran está claro. Aunque recientemente parece que haya salido uno que hace honor al erizo azul. Aquí tenemos el trabajo de dos personas, dos auténticos fans que han creado esta maravilla. De momento han realizado 3 fases y podéis probar la demo aquí. […]

I’ve downloaded this several times from different servers, and each one keeps saying ‘There should be ‘Sonic Fan Remix_Data’ folder next to the executable’. Any idea what this means? Or, better, how to fix it? I want to play this sooo badly!

Wow, this is amazing.

The graphics are stunning, I enjoyed playing this much more than Sonic 4.

Can’t wait for the finished game and prey it comes in form of PS3 homebrew!

A link, download on Megaupload.

[…] Además de un link al sitio de los creadores del demo: Sonic Retro. […]

Both link are down, Can you make one for mediafire?