Miscellaneous

SatAM Writer, Ben Hurst, Has Passed Away

We at Sonic Retro have been informed of the passing of former SatAM and Sonic Underground writer, Ben Hurst. His age at the time of his passing was believed to be in his mid-50s.

According to a good friend, Sonic Retro member Quexinos (aka FUS admin Nique), Ben passed away two weeks ago due to complications from diabetes. He fell into a diabetic coma and passed away in his sleep.

I don’t know how many of you knew this but Ben and I were very close but I’m copying this to as many Sonic places as I can ala one of his requests for should this ever happen. This isn’t easy to say, but today I got a phone call from Pat Allee who was the co writer of SatAM.

Unfortunately, Ben passed away a couple weeks ago. sad.png They think it was his diabetes, which I didn’t even know he had. I guess it came kind of suddenly. He even had a doctor appointment on Wednesday but he died Tuesday before he could go. What they believe happened is that he fainted and then went into a diabetic coma. Then he just died peacefully in his sleep, which is how he wanted to go. He didn’t feel any pain or anything so that’s comforting.

I feel very weird by this whole thing. He was such a lively man. He lived such a full life and he told me numerous times that if he died tomorrow, he’d be fine with that. I’m truly grateful for having known such a great man. I’m sure he’s happy wherever he is now. I’m upset but knowing these things I think I’ll be able to carry on.

Ben Hurst was the writer of SatAM in 1993 on ABC, which retains a rabid following to this day. He returned to Sonic for “Sonic Underground” in 1999, writing for a handful of episodes. Since the end of “Underground,” Ben became more involved with the community, appearing for Q&As at both the 2005 and 2006 Sonic Amateur Games Expo.

We will update you with more information as it becomes available. We at Sonic Retro extend our condolences to the Hurst family. Thank you for providing many of us with childhood memories. SatAM was a staple in many of our youths and we have you to thank for it.

R.I.P. Ben.  You will be missed.

NOOO!! … Why do people die so young these days?? It’s not how it suppose to be. Unfortunately we can’t change what already happened. You will not be forgotten Ben, RIP.

This is the death of Ben and any chance of a good SatAM Return
    Ben is so cool why does he have to die! Couldn’t they take someone else? I will miss you Ben!!

I grew up with SatAM and still love it to this day. Thank you for sharing your work with us. RIP Ben Hurst…

Holy crap I have diabetes too, this could happen to me! :O

O behalf of SatAM fans everywhere, thank you Ben Hurst, your stories were great and are still appriciated! RIP.

RIP Ben, I was a huge fan of SatAM when I was little

I remeber getting SATAM:The comlete series and i loved it. So R.I.P. Ben..

Now we’ll never get that secret script of Season 3!
    🙁

But considering that there’s more to be sad about than that…

RIP Ben Hurst. We’ll miss you.

Sorry to hear of Ben passing, I knew him a well as most, and will alwys remember our pc bashing weekends. He helped me and I helped him with pc stuff. I used to get a discount ar Frys, so we went there a lot. He also made some good enchiiladas which we made 10 dozen at a time. Going to miss those, heartburn and all. He was so positive, even in less than good times, waiting for that big voice over job to come in. Again sorry for all of our lose.

noooooooooo y he was good at makn sonic cartoons now wat are we going to do his soul sleeps in peace and thats all that matters but season 3 better be revealed that show was epic i bought the complete show i loved it itwas better than pb and j. RIP BEN HURST WE WILL MISS YOU.

Just before the show was supposed to rerun again. So sad D:

🙁 R.I.P. One of my favorite shows ever, really influenced and inspired me. I always wanted Season 3 to happen. Can’t believe he’s gone, wtf 🙁

All I can say is. =-( That kills any chance of a Season 3 of SatAM. Ben Hurst will be missed. =-(